This chicken green bean casserole is made with shredded chicken and cut green beans in a creamy cream cheese sauce. This low carb friendly dinner recipe is a great to meal prep for the week.
Are you looking for a way to use up some leftover roasted chicken or turkey? One option is to make an easy leftover turkey stew or soup. But that basic dish may not win your family over as much as a cheesy low carb casserole.
I know that a recipe is worth keeping when my husband goes for seconds. He's super picky so if he likes it I know it's got to be exceptionally good.
This creamy low carb chicken green bean casserole is one of the low carb dinner recipes my husband really enjoyed! Although he claims he doesn't like cream cheese, I didn't tell him I used it in this dish and he devoured the meal.
The cream cheese is not overpowering in this dish and it blends well with the parmesan cheese. The creamy sauce in this yummy casserole is somewhat similar to an alfredo sauce which goes really well with chicken.
Ingredients in the Chicken and Green Bean Casserole
To make the chicken green bean casserole, the following ingredients were used:
- Green beans
- Cooked chicken
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Although green beans were used, other low carb vegetables like broccoli could be added instead. Spinach or kale would also work out well.
- I don't usually like to take the time to shred chicken but, it was worth the extra time because the shreds of chicken combined better in the sauce than cubed chicken would have.
- If you don't have any cooked chicken or turkey on hand, raw meat can be poached or cooked in an Instant Pot to make the casserole.
- Another really easy way to save time cooking chicken is to use a rotisserie chicken, they are usually made without sugar.
How To Make A Chicken Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
There are a lot of green bean casserole recipes with chicken that use canned soup as a base like the one at Betty Crocker. But, most of those soups have unnecessary additives that result in added carbs. That's why it's best to make the casserole from scratch.
My recipe starts with a layer of cooked green beans. Either fresh or frozen can be used. I used a small bag of cut green beans. If using fresh, it's best to cut them up before putting in the casserole so they are bite-sized.
The green beans are then topped with a small amount of sauce before adding the shredded chicken. The sauce could be combined with the green beans and chicken before adding to the baking pan rather than layering if desired.
However, it's easier to just layer the vegetables in the pan rather than combining first and then spreading it out in the baking dish. Don't you agree?
Frequently Asked Questions About Keto Green Bean Casserole
The entire recipe is at the bottom of the post but first, I am going to answer a few questions about this recipe - read through them and see if you had one of these questions too.
What Is The Best Thing To Use On Top Of The Casserole?
I thought a little shredded mozzarella would be a nice topping for the gluten-free chicken green bean casserole. However, you could add another type of cheese or additional shredded parmesan cheese on top.
In addition to cheese, either crushed pork rinds or crumbled bacon would make a nice touch over the cheese. It's also a good idea to garnish with some parsley for added color since there's a lot of white between the cheese and chicken.
How Long Do I Bake This Chicken Green Bean Casserole?
The chicken green bean casserole is baked just until the cheese began to brown on top. For me, it was about 25 minutes at 350°F.
What Is The Best Thing To Serve With It?
There's no need for a side dish since the casserole is complete with meat and vegetables. But when I serve it, I like to add fresh greens like those in my baby kale avocado salad along with some sliced low carb bread.
Can I Make This Without Meat?
Yes, this casserole will taste just as delicious without any meat! You might have to adjust how much sauce you use since I created the recipe with the chicken in mind.
You can even use any kind of shredded meat, but the lighter meats like chicken and pork will taste the best.
How Do You Freeze The Casserole?
This casserole freezes really well. You can save it for later and then you will save lots of time meal prepping.
To freeze it, you need to cook the casserole first. Then, let it cool. After it is completely cooled off, seal it and store it in the freezer.
I suggest storing it in an oven-safe dish. That way, you can just take it out of the freezer and pop it in the oven.
The best way to do this is to let it thaw first, but you can always just cook it from frozen too - but it will take a little longer that way.
Low Carb Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This is a nice chicken and vegetable casserole that your family is sure to enjoy. Be sure to leave a comment if you do give it a try to let us know how it turned out.
Other Recipes To Try
If you are searching for more low-carb casseroles to make at home, then you should try one of these favorites:
- Low-Carb Pizza Casserole is gluten-free with an irresistible tomato sauce.
- Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole With Cream Cheese is so rich and filling and compliments any meal.
- Keto Shephard's Pie is an entire meal in one pot with creamy mashed cauliflower on top.
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole is brimming with tantalizing spices, melted cheese, and only has 4 grams of net carbs per serving.
- Low-Carb Paleo Buffalo Chicken Casserole is loved by everyone that enjoys the spicy buffalo flavor.
Chicken Green Bean Casserole
- 10.8 oz frozen green beans or fresh
- 2 ½ pounds chicken cooked and shredded
- 2 packages cream cheese 8 ounces each
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Cook green beans according to bag directions, then place in a lightly greased or seasoned 9x13 baking dish.
- Heat the cream, water, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt, and parmesan cheese over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Pour 1 cup of sauce over the green beans.
- Layer the chicken over the green beans and then pour the rest of the sauce on top.
- Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until cheese is browned.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: November 29, 2018... Last Updated: October 22, 2020, with additional recipe information.