This easy keto taco seasoning mix is the perfect blend of spices for your Mexican dishes. It has none without any of the sugar, starches, or fillers you find in the store-bought versions!
I love cooking low carb Mexican food. You may have noticed that I have quite a collection of them on the site, especially taco-inspired dishes.
As I was continuously making these tasty dishes, I found myself mixing this spice blend over and over again.
Making it in small quantities every time was inefficient. But I prefer to make my own than use the store-bought versions, which usually contain starches and sugar.
That’s why I decided to come up with my own keto taco seasoning mix that I could make in a large batch and store.
I knew it would be more convenient than mixing the spices each time. Plus, it meant that I could tweak the ratios until I found my perfect blend.
One of the best parts about making your own blend of spices is that you can customize it to your own taste. You can add more heat if you love spicy food, or you can keep it nice and mild.
For me, I prefer a low carb taco seasoning that’s right in the middle. But feel free to adjust for your preferences.
This keto taco seasoning is my perfect blend of flavors for Mexican meals. Whether it’s one of my taco dishes, a Mexican lasagna, or even fajitas, you’ll find me reaching for this delicious spice mix!
How to make your own keto taco seasoning
This keto taco seasoning recipe is super easy to prep.
- Find a suitable jar for mixing and storing. You want something that is airtight when closed and large enough that the spices only fill it up about halfway. This will help when it comes time to mix.
- Add all of the spices to your jar.
- Cover and shake well until all of the spices are combined thoroughly.
Yes, that’s really it. Just add everything and shake it up!
How many carbs are in taco seasoning
Is your taco seasoning keto?
The pouches of seasoning blends you find at the store often include unnecessary starches or sugar.
Starch is a filler that makes the spice blends cheaper to produce. Sugar is used to enhance the flavor to offset the filler.
That’s why you always want to check out the ingredients and the grams of sugar per serving if you’re buying the store-bought versions.
In my opinion, the easiest option is to just make your homemade taco seasoning keto! It’s so easy, and you can play around with your perfect flavors.
If you follow this recipe, each tablespoon of seasoning will have 4 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber. This means there are only 2 net carbs per serving.
And of course, no sugar or starch!
What can you make with low carb taco seasoning
Personally, I use my low carb taco seasoning in all of my Mexican dishes. I just love the flavor it adds!
If you’re making a meat sauce for tacos, I’d recommend 2 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat. If you want to thicken up the sauce, try a low carb thickener like coconut flour with ground psyllium husks, xanthan gum, or guar gum.
Keto taco seasoning would also go really well with homemade fajitas, burrito bowls, or low carb chili.
What’s your favorite dish to add taco seasoning to? Let us know in the comments below!
How to store low carb taco seasoning
Once you start making your own seasoning blends, you’ll never want to go back to those prepared ones again. But when you do make your own spice blends, you need to have the right storage containers.
What to use the mix in
The spice mix is great for seasoning friendly Mexican dishes that you make at home. I have a pretty good collection of taco flavored recipes on the site:
- The Instant Pot speeds up the cooking for my Keto Taco Soup. But you can make it on the stove top or slow cooker too.
- When you’re pressed for time this Keto Taco Skillet will come to the rescue. It’s an easy dish for a weeknight meal.
- Filled with taco flavor, my Keto Yellow Squash Casserole is sure to please the whole family.
- For a quick lunch or light dinner try an easy Low Carb Taco Salad that replaces tortilla chips with cheese crisps.
- If you have an abundant crop of summer squash, make up some Stuffed Yellow Squash filled with taco meat.
- A simple Taco Dip with Meat is a fantastic appetizer to share with friends and family.
And of course it’s great for when you’re making crock pot tacos!
Other low carb recipes to add flavor
Looking for a few other spices, sauces, or dressings to add flavor to your meals? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Dill Dijon Mustard Sauce is packed with enough flavor to brighten any dish and only requires 6 ingredients to make!
- Perfect Low Carb Marinara is a simple, keto friendly recipe that uses canned tomatoes and is totally sugar free.
- Low Carb Blue Cheese Dressing has plenty of cheese and a touch of sweetness for the perfect salad dressing or dipping sauce for wings.
- Keto BBQ Sauce is an essential during grilling season that’s healthier and even tastier than the store bought version!
- Avocado Lime Dressing is completely dairy free, Paleo friendly, and packed with healthy fats for a delicious addition to your salad.
Low Carb Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cayenne Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Spanish Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- Using a small airtight jar, transfer all ingredients. Make sure your jar has about ½ space so the ingredients will be combined thoroughly.
- Cover and shake well.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: January 18, 2018… Last Updated: February 12, 2020