If you enjoy cheesecake, you have to try this easy ricotta cheese pie recipe! It’s a rich, indulgent treat that’s easy to make and perfect for holidays or celebrations. In fact, it’s a popular Italian Easter pie.
I’ve created a lot of different cheesecake recipes over the years. From plain cheesecakes to ones with fun flavors or even crazy toppings, there’s plenty to choose from!
But sometimes, I want something a little bit different. Something that’s still super easy.
That’s when I turn to this amazing low carb ricotta pie recipe! It’s incredibly rich but surprisingly low in calories per slice. This dessert is one of my favorite ways to indulge my sweet tooth.
And this recipe truly could not be easier. You’ll bake the crust, whip together the filling ingredients in a bowl, and then throw it in the oven until it’s done. That’s it!
After I made ricotta pie once, it quickly became a holiday staple in our family. Everyone loves it!
What is ricotta pie?
If you haven’t heard of ricotta pie before, it’s a classic Italian recipe often served at Easter.
The filling is similar to cheesecake, but the ricotta makes it a bit richer. I also find the texture to be thicker than regular cream cheese based pies.
Ricotta pie can be served plain, or I like to top it with whipped cream!
Anyone that likes cheesecake is sure to love low carb ricotta pie. It’s a great way to make something a little different that you still know will be a crowd-pleaser.
How to make ricotta cheese pie
I love how this recipe is so simple and straightforward. You don’t need to dirty a lot of dishes either. In fact, you’ll prep the crust right in the pie pan!
Preparing the low-carb crust
- Combine almond flour, sweetener, and salt in pie pan until well-combined. Then add melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until a dough forms. Then press the dough into the pie plate.
- Place the crust in the oven and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 10 minutes. Then remove the crust from the oven and place it on a rack to cool slightly.
Adding filling and baking the pie
- Beat together eggs, vanilla extract, ricotta cheese, coconut flour, and low carb sweeteners until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the slightly-cooled crust.
- Place filled crust back in the oven and bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes. You want the pie to be golden brown on top and mostly firm, although the center should still be a bit jiggly.
See? It’s easy as pie! You just want to cool or chill this wonderful treat before serving
If you want to make this recipe even easier (and lower the carbs), you can also make a ricotta pie without the crust. But make sure to line the pan before filling for an easier release.
Carbs and calories per serving
I like to cut my ricotta cheese pie into 8 slices. At that serving size, each slice is only 171 calories. It’s so rich, you’d expect it to be more!
Also, there are only 3.6 grams of carbs per slice, making it a perfect keto and low carb dessert.
If you make a crustless ricotta pie, these numbers will be even lower.
How long does ricotta pie last?
In my household, not very long! It’s one of my family’s favorite desserts.
But if you do have some leftovers, you can store the pie in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze ricotta cheese pie for up to 6 months.
Other low carb pie recipes
Looking for more decadent keto pie recipes and cheesecake that you can indulge in without the guilt? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Cranberry Cheesecake Pie is as beautiful as it is delicious! Just cut the recipe in half and bake in a pie pan for a great holiday keto dessert.
- Keto Peanut Butter Pie is so easy to make and doesn’t require the use of your oven.
- Low Carb Pecan Pie is another holiday tradition you can enjoy by making a few low carb substitutions.
- Keto Strawberry Pie features a pecan crust filled with a rich strawberry mousse for a delicious, creamy pie that sets in the fridge.
- Instant Pot Keto Cheesecake is a rich chocolate dessert made in the pressure cooker which is the perfect environment for baking cheesecake!
- Keto Butter Pie is a butter dessert that combines many staple low carb ingredients.
Sweet Ricotta Cheese Pie – Gluten Free
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour sifted
- 3 tablespoons low carb sugar substitute I used Swerve
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 3/4 cup Swerve add more if desired; up to 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons low carb sugar substitute or 24 drops liquid stevia to help round out sweetness
- In deep dish pie plate, mix together almond flour, 3 tablespoons equivalent sugar substitute and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour in butter, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix until dough forms.
- Press into pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Set on rack to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix 4 beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, ricotta cheese, coconut flour, 1 cup equivalent sugar substitute and 2 tablespoons other sweetener.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour into crust and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and firm.
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Originally Published: December 20, 2011… Last Updated: March 26, 2020