Apples are a forbidden fruit on the low carb diet, but this mock apple crisp using zucchini is a clever way to trick your taste buds when you crave apples.
I have been staring at a large ball zucchini on our kitchen island for about two weeks. It had been picked from our garden and it just continued to sit while I cooked all the other summer vegetables. This week, we have been busy preparing for hurricane Irene which is forecast to hit Connecticut this weekend. Although we live a little inland, we aren’t far from the shore and they are predicting some heavy rain and storm surge. Anyway, I took a break from the storm preps this morning to bake this low carb crisp.
This particular ball zucchini looked like a small dark green pumpkin. It yielded about 6 cups of peeled and sliced zucchini; just enough to fill the bottom of my 9 x 9-in. baking pan. It seemed well suited for a low carb mock apple crisp. Since I have a jar of powdered xylitol that is getting close to the expiration date, I used that as the sweetener in the topping. Overall, this turned out to be a delicious low carb dessert. Definitely something that I will make again.
LOW CARB TIPS and TRICKS
Subscribe now to receive your free copy of Low Carb Tips and Tricks which includes 20 easy to prepare recipes. Plus, get access to the weekly newsletter and special offers only for subscribers!
- 6 cups peeled and sliced zucchini
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sweetener, I used 4 Tbsp 2 tsp Truvia
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup oat fiber or low carb baking mix
- 1/4 cup erythritol or Swerve
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- In medium bowl, combine zucchini, lemon juice, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg until well blended. Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 9-in. baking dish.
- For topping, combine pecans, almond flour, oat fiber, sweetener and cinnamon in a bowl then cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the zucchini mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Makes 9 servings
Net carbs per serving: 4g