This keto Italian sausage kale soup with mushrooms recipe is simmered in a chicken bone broth base for a quick and heartwarming meal.
Why you'll love it
Move over, chicken soup, Italian sausage soup is taking over. It's just as good for you, but there are a lot of different ways you can make it.
A little soup is always welcome in the winter! And, it's the perfect meal when one is feeling a little under the weather. In fact, keto Italian sausage soup tastes even better than your typical chicken soup.
This yummy sausage and kale soup really hits the spot. Although sipping on chicken soup is commonly recommended when you're sick, the broth in this soup is just as comforting.
The soup certainly makes me feel much better after being sick for days. Plus, the kale added a nice boost of nutrition.
There are just five healthy ingredients in this hearty soup. It's a fantastic way to use leftover chicken broth and kale. Here's a bit more information about what I used to make it.
The chopped kale was delicious in the soup. I loved that it didn't get too soft like spinach. I knew the leafy green is similar to spinach but cooks much crisper. Plus, it's super healthy, so I wanted to give it a try.
Because it's so healthy, kale is also a popular ingredient for smoothies.
When buying sausage, you need to be sure to check the label. Unfortunately, a lot of pre-made ones add sugar. You wouldn't want to add any unnecessary carbs to the sausage kale soup.
You can use either chicken sausage or pork sausage in this recipe.
Since I had some sliced mushrooms, I ended up adding them to the soup. I used canned, but fresh works too.
If you don't care for mushrooms, you can leave them out. However, I find it adds a nice touch, so you may want to replace it with something else.
I like to make my own pressure cooker bone broth in the Instant Pot if used right away. But, when I have more time, I'll simmer it for a couple of days in a slow cooker or on the slow cook setting on the electric pressure cooker.
You could also use vegetable broth in its place!
Add a few cloves of fresh garlic to really make the flavors in this soup pop.
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low-carb recipe.
- Use a dutch oven. You can use a large dutch oven on the stove and in the oven.
- Make it in the slow cooker. Simmer this on low all day, and it will be ready when you are hungry.
- Pre-fry the sausage. This is an option if you like pan-fried sausage.
The soup I made is such a simple recipe. You can literally build on it and change it up in so many ways.
Boil the broth
Add some water to the broth and let this mixture boil over medium heat.
Mix in the ingredients
Place the kale, sausage, mushrooms, and garlic in the broth. Season with salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
Allow this soup to simmer for at least an hour at low heat.
????️ Serving suggestions
This delicious sausage kale soup is perfect for a soup and salad lunch. Add a chopped broccoli salad on the side, and you have a healthy lunch.
The Italian flavors in this soup will also taste amazing with a pesto chicken salad wrap. It's creamy and wrapped in cabbage, plus it only has 1 gram net carbs.
Or, mix up the flavors and eat this soup with an apple cider vinegar cucumber salad. It has the perfect amount of crunch and only 3.4 grams net carbs in each serving.
There are a lot of different ways you can make this kale soup sausage recipe. If you make any changes, please let me know in the comments!
- Use hot Italian sausage. This will increase the heat without adding more net carbs.
- Make creamy Italian sausage soup. Instead of chicken broth, melt cream cheese with your favorite type of milk. Use full-fat cream cheese.
- Add more heat. Sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top.
- Add chopped onion and diced tomatoes. Only add a few tomatoes since those have more net carbs.
- Sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese on top.
Here are some questions people often ask about making keto sausage soup. If you don't see your question in this list, please leave it in the comments.
Soup is also a great way to use up leftovers. For example, keto sausage balls can be used instead of links in this soup if you have extra.
Keep leftover soup in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. The longer you keep it in the refrigerator, the softer the kale will become.
This is one of my favorite soup recipes because it has both meat and vegetables in it already. Enjoy this soup with unstuffed pepper casserole - it's made with lots of cream cheese and cabbage.
Want to make more healthy recipes? Here are a few more low-carb soup recipes you may enjoy. You might just find another favorite in this soup cuisine list.
- Keto Egg Drop Soup is a fantastic way to start out your favorite keto Chinese food meal.
- Low Carb Thai Coconut Soup is incredibly creamy with an unmistakable heat.
- Keto French Onion Soup is filled with lots of delicious onions and cheese.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup With Cheddar is a rich and creamy soup that is filling and made with heavy cream and cheddar cheese.
- Instant Pot Taco Soup is made with cream cheese and all of your favorite taco toppings.
Sausage Kale Soup with Mushroom
- 29 ounces chicken bone broth
- 6.5 ounces fresh kale cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound sausage cooked, casings removed and sliced
- 6.5 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place both cans of chicken broth in large pot along with two cans worth of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the kale, sausage, mushrooms and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer covered over low heat for about an hour.
Array ( [serving_size] => 276 [calories] => 259 [carbohydrates] => 4 [protein] => 14 [fat] => 20 [saturated_fat] => 6 [cholesterol] => 54 [sodium] => 995 [potassium] => 545 [vitamin_a] => 3125 [vitamin_c] => 47.9 [calcium] => 63 [iron] => 1.7 [serving_unit] => g )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First published January 6, 2011. Last updated August 25, 2022, with new images and additional recipe information.