You can enjoy this low carb lemon crock pot cake warm from the slow cooker with berries and whipped cream. It’s also a tasty treat served cold.
Have you tried baking a cake in a crock pot? It seems like such a great idea, especially during the hot days of summer.
After seeing a few recipes for low carb crock pot cakes, I decided to give it a try. You could probably just find a baking pan that will fit in your slow cooker and turn it on high until the cake is done.
Some crock pots come with a baking rack and insert. If you don’t have a rack, it’s recommended to raise the baking pan about an inch with some crumpled up aluminum foil. It’s also suggested to cover the top of the baking pan with a couple paper towels so the condensation from the lid doesn’t drip onto the cake.
This recipe for lemon crock pot cake was adapted from a slow cooker lemon dessert cake. It doesn’t require a baking pan or rack for your slow cooker. You just spread the cake batter into the slow cooker and then pour on a sweet topping.
The original recipe suggests baking in a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker. It took a little longer to fully cook in the 2 quart size. You can eat the cake warm from the crock, but I found it was also great cold straight from the refrigerator.
The cake was done in about 3 hours. I did notice some excessive browning on one side of the cake. Lining the crock with a sheet of aluminum foil should help prevent this and will also allow the cake to be easily removed from the slow cooker.
Although I didn’t line the crock with foil or use a non-stick spray, the cake was easy to remove from the slow cooker. Next time, I will use a liner to protect the edges from browning too much.
For proper cooking, the lid should not be lifted until the very end in order to see if the cake is done. I poked the cake in several places with a toothpick to make sure the cake was fully cooked.
It did take longer than expected to bake, but I think it was because I used a 2 quart bowl which is the smallest I have.
Like most low carb cakes, I found this lemon crock pot cake tasted better the next day straight from the refrigerator.
I’m not sure why, but sugar and gluten free cakes made with almond and coconut flour always seem to taste better after being in the refrigerator for while.
Low Carb Lemon Crock Pot Cake Recipe
Lemon Crock Pot Cake
- 3 tablespoons Pyure all purpose or 3 tablespoons Swerve
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, and xanthan gum in medium bowl.
- Whisk together butter, whipping cream, lemon juice, zest and egg in large bowl.
- Add dry mix to wet mix and combine until well blended. Spread into 2-4 quart slow cooker crock lined with aluminum foil.
- Combine all topping ingredients in bowl and pour over cake batter in crock.
- Cover crock pot and cook on high setting about 2-3 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit and whipped cream, if desired.
- Values Array ( [carbohydrates] => 300 [protein] => 50 [fat] => 65 [saturated_fat] => 20 [cholesterol] => 300 [sodium] => 2400 [potassium] => 3500 [fiber] => 25 )
- Carbs: 300
- Fiber: 25
- Protein: 50
- Net Carbs: 275
- Macro: 1560
- % Carbs: 71%
- % Protein: 13%
- % Fat: 38%
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.