These simple dry rub chicken wings are oven-baked to crispy perfection and flavored with an easy blend of spices. They pack in all the spicy taste without any messy sauce!
I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of trying out new keto wing recipes. I just love experimenting with different seasonings and spices.
This time, I went with something a little different. My usual sauces are delicious, but they can also be messy.
These low carb dry rub wings are the perfect alternative. They’re crispy, super flavorful, and so easy to make!
All you have to do is apply the dry rub and bake. You’ll be amazed how simple this recipe is.
Whenever I make these chicken wings for my family or friends, they are always a huge hit. Everyone loves them! They’re the perfect easy dish to make for a quick appetizer or a game day party.
Why you'll love it
This recipe is different from my other wing recipes because it doesn’t use a sauce.
Instead, you’ll make a dry rub for chicken wings by mixing together common spices. This mix is then rubbed into the skin, which is where the name comes from.
This gives you a perfectly crispy and flavorful batch of wings!
I like to use a regular baking rack to lift the chicken pieces off the pan. This allows them to really crisp up in the oven. Putting them directly on a pan can cause sticking as well as some softness.
I also turn on the broiler for the last 10 minutes of baking to really help them get crispy!
Making chicken wings with a dry rub is so easy. There’s no sauce to make, so all you have to do is prep and put them in the oven.
We’ll start by getting the wings ready:
- Dry the wings with paper towels to remove excess liquid, then place them into a large bowl.
- Coat the wings with olive oil, taking your time to rub it into the skin of each one.
- Combine all of the seasonings in a wide shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the season mix onto the chicken wings, then rub the spices into the skin of each one.
- Flip the wings, sprinkle with the remaining half of the spice mix and rub into the skin.
Next, all you have to do is bake the wings until crispy:
- Line a shallow baking pan with tin foil (for easy cleanup later), then place a baking rack on top.
- Transfer the seasoned wings to the baking rack.
- Bake the wings in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes. Flip each wing, then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven broiler on low and broil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven.
Your wings are ready to enjoy! Serve with celery and blue cheese dressing if desired.
Air fryer option
This dry rub wings recipe also works with an air fryer!
Follow the preparation steps of drying the wings and rubbing them with olive oil followed by the spice mix.
Then, follow these simple steps:
- Place the wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 360°F for 25 minutes.
- Flip the wings over.
- Increase the temperature to 400°F, and cook for 4 more minutes.
You'll find tips for the perfect seasoning and flavor below!
Getting the rub stay on wings
There are two very important steps to making sure the rub stays on your wings.
The first is using paper towels to dry the wings before rubbing them with olive oil. If there is too much moisture in the skin, they won’t absorb the olive oil. And the oil is what makes the dry rub stick.
Second, make sure you massage both the oil and the rub into the skin of the wings. If you just sprinkle it on, a lot will fall off when you transfer the wings to the baking rack.
Amount of rub to use
I recommend using as much of the dry rub as you can. Since we aren’t using a sauce, all of the flavor comes from the chicken wings dry rub.
If you have spice mix leftover after you’ve rubbed as much as you can into the wings, that’s okay. Just be sure each one has been generously seasoned.
Looking for more easy keto appetizers? Check out a few of these other delicious bites:
- Keto Sausage Balls are dairy free, gluten free, and low carb for an appetizer that anyone can enjoy!
- Taco Salad Dip made with ground beef makes a delicious dip and can be served with low carb tortilla chips.
- Keto Bacon Wrapped Chicken are super juicy and flavorful for irresistible finger food!
- Low Carb Spinach Dip is a delicious hot appetizer that’s always a hit with any crowd.
- Cauliflower Bread Sticks are easy to make for a cheesy finger food to serve at parties or to whip up for a satisfying snack!
Dry Rub Chicken Wings (Oven or Air Fryer)
- 2 pounds chicken wings about 20 wingettes & drumettes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper more for hotter wings
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- Dry wing pieces with paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- Place wings in a large bowl and rub olive oil evenly into each piece.
- Combine all seasonings in a bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the season mix onto the chicken wings and rub in. Flip wings and sprinkle remaining half onto wings and rub in.
- Place rack over shallow baking pan with sides (line pan with foil for easy cleanup). Place seasoned wings on rack.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, flip each wing, then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn oven broiler on low and broil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Serve with celery and blue cheese dressing if desired.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Originally Published: January 16, 2015... Last Published: May 6, 2020