A garlic butter spinach tilapia salad served with creamy avocado dressing. It’s an amazing flavor combination that’s low carb and keto friendly!
I really enjoy eating fish, but I rarely cook it. For some reason, it always tastes better when someone else cooks it.
It’s a shame because my husband loves to fish and he always catching a lot and gives them away. I usually keep one to try, but he hates to filet the fish and I hate picking out the bones to eat it.
When I do get my hands on a good fish filet, I like baking it with oil or butter and various spices. One of the spices is always garlic because it really enhances the flavor of the meat.
Although baked fish is tasty by itself, I decided to try a spinach tilapia salad for an easy low carb summer meal. To give it extra flavor, a creamy avocado dressing was served on top.
Spinach has a lot more nutrients than plain iceberg lettuce which is mainly water. And, I prefer it over romaine. That’s why it’s my favorite choice for a low carb salad.
Cooking the Fish
To make the tilapia salad, seasoned fillets are topped with butter and garlic then baked in a foil lined pan with bell pepper and tomatoes. Yellow peppers are used to add in additional color.
Once the fish is flaky, it’s removed. You do need to make sure you don’t overcook the meat or it will be dry. However, the garlic butter adds a nice flavor and healthy fat.
When I do cook fish, it’s typically either baked or grilled outside. Although I love the taste of pan fried, it just makes a mess and can smell up the house.
I never get the fishy odor when baking fish. So, that’s the method used for cooking the meat in this tasty spinach tilapia salad.
Is Yogurt Low Carb?
The low carb creamy avocado dressing is so simple to make. You simply add all the ingredients into a blender and give it a whirl.
Don’t worry about the plain yogurt in the dressing. Although you wouldn’t know it from the label, if there’s no sugar added, plain whole milk yogurt is a low carb.
I used to shy away from yogurt because of the milk sugar. But, it turns out that most of the sugar is consumed by the culture. So plain whole milk yogurt is a low carb option!
Spinach Tilapia Salad Recipe
I went back to see if I had many fish recipes. Turns out I don’t!
I’m thinking I need to work on more low carb fish recipes. What do you think? Do you enjoy eating fish and other seafood?
Here’s a few more seafood recipes you may enjoy:
- Keto Fish Tacos
- Sinigang Na Hipon (Shrimp Soup)
- Keto Crab Cakes
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Fish Soup Recipe
I also love pairing my fish dishes with keto falafel!
Garlic Butter Tilapia Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 400 grams Tilapia Fillet
- 200 grams Spinach
- 80 grams Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 1 Medium Yellow Bell Pepper cut in strips
- 1 Small Cucumber thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 6 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish Paprika
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
Creamy Avocado Lemon Dressing :
- 1 Avocado
- 1/3 cup Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/8 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Sage
- low carb sugar substitute as desired
- Wash Tilapia Fillet and pat dry. Season with salt, ground black pepper, onion powder and Spanish paprika. Set aside.
- In a slightly greased baking pan lined with foil, arrange Tilapia fillet, cherry tomatoes and yellow bell pepper. Brush with softened butter and sprinkle chopped garlic. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until Tilapia fillet is flaky.
- Creamy Avocado Lemon Dressing. Using a blender, combine yogurt, avocado, dried basil, ground sage and lemon juice until creamy. Opt to add sweetener if desired.
- In a serving platter, assemble the salad. Lay spinach on the entire platter and top with Tilapia fillet, avocado, cucumber, roasted yellow bell peppers, and roasted cherry tomatoes. Pour freshly squeezed lemon juice on Tilapia fillet. Drizzle with Creamy Avocado Lemon Dressing. Serve and enjoy!
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.