Looking for a low-carb alternative to potato chips? Try this air fryer kale chips recipe! It's made with fresh kale, olive oil, and simple seasonings for perfectly crispy kale chips.
Why you'll love this kale chips recipe
Kale chips are the best way to enjoy a crunchy, savory snack while also getting in some extra nutrients!
Dark leafy greens like kale are packed with antioxidants, great fiber content, and other health benefits. And my air fryer kale chips give you all these advantages in a totally snackable form.
Plus, cooking kale chips in an air fryer provides the perfect level of crunch!
Here's everything that makes up this air fryer kale chips recipe:
The base of this kale chips recipe is, of course, kale!
Kale has a super low carb count, with just 1.5g net carbs per cup. It's also super nutrient-rich, being a good source of manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C, and more.
Some people avoid kale because of its stiff texture and bitter flavor. But a quick massage breaks down its bitter compounds, leaving a lighter, less bitter flavor.
To get these kale chips nice and crispy, a bit of olive oil does the trick!
Olive oil also adds great flavor and fat content to this snack.
You can customize your kale chip seasoning any way you'd like. In my recipe, I recommend using salt and pepper along with a bit of nutritional yeast.
If you haven't tasted nutritional yeast before, it has a pleasant, cheesy flavor that is slightly nutty. It's a common dairy-free alternative in cheesy vegan recipes.
Air fryer tips
While this air fryer recipe is super easy, here are a few tips for the best results:
- Don't overlap your kale! Arrange your pieces in a single langer so that every bit gets crispy and evenly fried.
- Check on your kale near the end of your cooking time. Kale is delicate and prone to burning at high heat.
- To enjoy your kale chips crispy, snack down immediately! Kale chips will get less crispy the longer they are stored.
How to make air fryer kale chips
Ready to make these air-fried kale chips? Follow these quick and easy steps:
Preheat your air fryer
Begin by preheating your air fryer to 350°F.
You might also take a moment to prep your air fryer rack with parchment paper for extra easy cleanup.
Next, add your pre-chopped kale pieces to a medium mixing bowl, then top with olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
Toss your kale chips until each piece is well-coated. You might even want to massage a bit of the olive oil into your kale.
Air fry kale chips
Now, arrange your seasoned kale in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook until the kale looks crispy, with slight browning along the edges.
Take a sample bite if you're unsure!
Season and serve
Remove your fried kale chips and sprinkle a bit of nutritional yeast over the top (or any other desired seasonings).
Serve them up and enjoy your snack!
How to serve air fryer kale chips
While these kale chips are flavorful and satisfying on their own, you can serve them with a creamy dipping sauce for a more substantial snack.
You could also serve these kale chips as part of a low-carb snack platter.
Use the seasonings of your choice to make custom kale chip flavors. Try one of these fun variations:
- For onion kale chips, add onion powder, flakey sea salt, chili powder, and smoked paprika.
- To make garlic and herb kale chips, try garlic powder, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Create super cheesy kale chips by including parmesan cheese in my original recipe!
Here are the most frequently asked questions about my kale chips air fryer recipe. If I don't answer your questions here, please leave them for me in the comments down below!
Because kale is so light, it can start to fly around a bit when you're cooking it in the air fryer. To prevent this, I suggest placing an air fryer rack over top of your kale to weigh it down.
This rack should still allow ample airflow while keeping your kale snug and safe.
While health is always relative, kale chips are overall a pretty healthy snack! Kale has a ton of beneficial nutrients, and the bonus olive oil is perfect for a keto diet.
In my recipe, I air fry kale chips for 5-7 minutes. Depending on heat settings and your air fryer, this time may vary a bit.
Check your kale chips after a few minutes of cooking to see how fast they're crisping up. Kale can burn quickly, so it's best to check earlier than later.
Kale chips are best enjoyed immediately after cooking because it's when they're crispiest! You can store them, however, in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. A few grains of rice or a silica package in the container can also help keep them crisp.
Like this kale chips air fryer recipe? Try these!
I have tons of keto air fryer recipes available. Start with these tasty low-carb eats:
- Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers are filled with a creamy filling and topped with crispy bacon.
- Air Fryer Salmon Bites are seasoned with soy sauce and sugar-free honey for a delicious combination.
- Keto Frozen Cauliflower is the quickest way to enjoy a nutritious veggie side dish.
- Frozen Brussel Sprouts Air Fryer Recipe is quick and easy to prep and is perfect for a holiday meal.
- Keto Chicken Nuggets are low-carb, kid-friendly, and totally delicious.
Air Fryer Kale Chips
- 1 bunch of kale stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with the olive oil, salt, and black pepper until well coated.
- Arrange the kale in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the kale is crispy and slightly browned around the edges.
- Remove the kale chips from the air fryer and sprinkle with nutritional yeast, if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- You can use other seasonings of your choice, such as garlic powder or smoked paprika, to add flavor to the kale chips.
- Make sure to arrange the kale in a single layer in the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking and crispy results.
- Keep an eye on the kale chips towards the end of the cooking time to prevent burning.
- Serve the kale chips immediately to enjoy them at their crispiest.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.