A seasoned keto cheese dip that’s full of flavor. Pair it with low carb vegetables and chips for an amazing appetizer to share with friends.
I may have given up dairy, but my friends and family are still big cheeseaholics! So, I still stock my fridge with their favorites, especially for holiday appetizers.
The holidays are when I usually stock up on Edam cheese because it’s a staple at Christmas celebrations in the Philippines. It’s not always easy to find, but my local Aldi usually has it as a great price.
We had some friends over for a little get together so I made up a keto cheese dip to serve with chips and vegetables. Because I had some creamy Havarti cheese, blended it with grated Edam for the dip.
To add a little festive color, I roasted some bell peppers to mix into the dip and use a few for garnishing. I chose red and green peppers to dress it up for Christmas.
Of course, it doesn’t have to be the holiday season to make this recipe. It’s a great dip to serve year round. And, you can certainly change up the cheese to change the flavor and texture.
If you’d prefer a cheddar dip, I’d suggest adding in grated cheddar with some cream cheese. Or, you could try some gouda or Gruyere instead.
No matter what flavor you choose, this yummy keto cheese dip is sure to please. And, it’s great to pair with low carb tortilla chips for a tasty appetizer.
If you don’t have time to make your own tortilla chips, you can dip pork rinds instead. When I have time, I’ll also make some homemade low carb crackers.
When serving a hot dip like this one, you’ll want to keep it warm. Otherwise, it can get rather thick sitting around at room temperature.
I like to use a small crock pot made just for dips that I can keep plugged in. If you think it will go quickly, there’s no need to keep this keto cheese dip warm.
Alternatively, you can reheat it as needed in the microwave. That’s what I do if I have any leftovers that I’ve stored in the refrigerator.
If you find the dip is too thick, you can simply add in additional almond milk or heavy cream. The low carb milk will certainly save some calories over the cream.
You certainly don’t have to limit yourself to dipping only chips and veggies. Personally, I could see myself dipping pieces of my pork rind keto bread into the cheese.
This hot cheese dip is also great served in a fondue pot. And, I think low carb meatballs would be ideal for dipping into the pot with long forks.
There are so many possibilities with this recipe. What would you serve with this yummy dip?
Low Carb Keto Cheese Dip Recipe
Low Carb Keto Cheese Dip
- 3 cups Edam cheese grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Havarti cheese creamy
- 1 to 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil for roasting peppers
- fresh cilantro for garnishing
- Preheat oven at 350° F.
- Thinly slice red and green bell peppers. Place on a non-stick tray or cover tray with foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast until tender.
- In a non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Pour cream, almond milk, 1 cup chicken stock and grated Edam cheese. Bring to a slight boil and stir.
- Once the Edam cheese starts to melt, turn heat to low and add spices – ground mustard seed, pepper flakes, garlic powder, cayenne and ground black pepper. Sprinkle half of sage, thyme, oregano. Mix well with cheese mixture. Continue stirring.
- If cheese is too thick for you, gradually add the remaining chicken stock and continue stirring. Add the remaining half of sage, thyme and oregano if needed.
- Once Edam cheese has almost completely melted, add havarti cheese and some roasted bell peppers. Reserve a few pieces of bell peppers for garnishing. Continue to stir until cheese melts.
- Once you’ve achieved the desired consistency, transfer to a serving dish. Top with some Christmas colors – roasted red and green bell peppers plus fresh cilantro.
Join the Low Carb Yum Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
You can also sign up for our FREE weekly newsletter by entering your information in the form below. The free subscription gives you access to the Low Carb Tips and Tricks eBook which includes 20 easy recipes. Plus, you'll get notified of new recipes along with access to special deals only offered to subscribers!
NOTE: Be sure to 'add' Low Carb Yum (lowcarbyum @ lowcarbyum.com) to your contacts so the emails don't end up in your spam box. If you are using Gmail, the newsletter email may end up in your "Promotional" tab. Just click on "Not Promotions" so you won't miss out.
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.