Ginger chicken is a quick and easy stir fry made with only 5 main ingredients! It’s an excellent way to repurpose any leftover meat into a simple low carb meal. Because you can easily make the dish in less than ten minutes so it’s faster than ordering take out!
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
With my ever growing list of work activities and busy family schedule, I haven’t had a lot of time for cooking. So I’ve been making easy low carb dinners that can get me in and out of the kitchen in fifteen minutes or less. That’s why I created this quick ginger chicken recipe that uses leftover cooked chicken and minimal ingredients.
To make things easier for my husband when I’m away traveling, I like to pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store so he has some prepared food ready in the refrigerator. But I know he doesn’t like to always eat the same thing every day. However, a roasted chicken can be used in so many ways!
Of course, you can just eat the meat with a serving of low starch vegetables. But it can also be added into low carb soup recipes like my keto chicken noodle soup. It’s also perfect for making a chicken egg foo young!
And now I have one more recipe to add to my list for getting dinner on the table quickly using leftover cooked chicken meat… This simple ginger garlic chicken stir fry!
Cooking with ginger root
I’ll admit that I never used to cook with fresh ginger. Instead, I’d often buy the ginger stir-in paste because it’s ready to go. But it’s really not difficult to use ginger root in cooking.
The skin comes off easily just be scraping it with a spoon. Then cut it into small pieces or finely minced similar to garlic. You just want to make sure you cut off any ends and remove the skin.
You can add freshly cut or minced ginger into dishes just like garlic to add in that distinctive taste that’s in many Asian dishes. When used in a stir fry, it can be added to the vegetables to cook in the hot oil.
How to make an easy ginger chicken
This recipe uses pre-cooked chicken meat to speed things up. But if you only have raw meat on hand, just slice it and stir fry it in oil until fully cooked. Then remove it from the skillet to a plate until needed.
Any boneless chicken meat works in the recipe. However, I prefer chicken thighs to chicken breasts. I find the darker meat has more flavor and fat.
To make the dish, you simply stir-fry green bell pepper slices with garlic and ginger for a minute in olive oil over high heat. Then add in cooked chicken slices and stir-fried for another 2-3 minutes. Coconut aminos and salt are then added to enhance the flavor.
If you’re okay with using soy, soy sauce or tamari can be used in place of the coconut aminos. But many people who do keto also avoid soy due to the hormonal impacts. And it’s also one of the biggest GMO (genetically modified organism) crops which is another reason some choose to stay away from it.
If you’d like to change things up, here’s a few suggestions:
- Replace the green bell peppers with another low carb vegetable. Broccoli florets are fantastic in stir fry dishes.
- Add in a dash of orange extract for an easy orange ginger chicken dish.
- Spice it up by sprinkling on a few red pepper flakes.
- Use turkey or other poultry meat instead of chicken. It’s a great way to use up any holiday leftovers!
Other quick and easy recipes
Need some more low carb meals for busy days? I’ve got tons on the site, but here’s some of my long time favorites:
- Keto Alfredo with zucchini noodles can be turned into a satisfying dinner when you add in some leftover cooked chicken meat.
- Easy Keto Goulash with sausage is a simple skillet dish that whips up in no time using low carb shiratake pasta.
- Chicken and shrimp stir fry combines land and sea into a quick and easy skillet dinner.
- Ground beef and green beans is another quick and easy one pot meal that whips up in under 15 minutes.
- Chicken bok choy is a classic Asian stir fry combination that you can easily make in 25 minutes or less.
There’s also a collection of low carb recipes for using up leftover turkey or chicken you might be interested in.
★ Follow Me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more keto friendly recipe ideas.
★ Sign up for my NEWSLETTER to get the latest updates and a FREE Meal Plan.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium green pepper seeded and cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in pan, stir-fry garlic, pepper, and ginger for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and stir fry for about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the vinegar and salt and stir-fry for 30 seconds more.
Join my Facebook Group for help with recipes and weight loss support!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.