Old Bay seasoning is a secret weapon in the kitchen that adds a distinctive zest to seafood like crabs and shrimp, and even chicken. Making your own homemade Old Bay seasoning recipe is a simple process and only requires a handful of ingredients. This keto spice blend is perfect to use in low-carb dishes or for an extra kick of flavor.
Why you'll love this Old Bay seasoning recipe
Are you a fan of seafood? If yes, then you’re probably familiar with the delicious taste of Old Bay seasoning. For some, Old Bay is a staple ingredient — especially if you're from the Chesapeake Bay region. This blend of spices is perfect to give your shrimp, chicken, and crab cakes that extra zing!
If you can’t find it in stores or don’t want to pay for it, why not make your own? With this easy-to-make Old Bay seasoning recipe, you can make your own homemade version in no time.
All you need are a few simple ingredients, and you’ll be ready to go!
Note: Like to make your own seasonings? Try out this keto Greek seasoning blend!
When it comes to old bay seasoning ingredients, you'll need a good variety of spices to get that distinctive flavor.
If you are wondering what is in Old Bay seasoning mix, here are all the herbs and spices that go into it, along with their flavor profiles:
- Celery Seeds - earthy, slightly spicy
- Ground Cinnamon - sweet, warm
- Mustard Powder - pungent, slightly bitter
- Bay Leaves - mildly bitter and herbal
- Paprika - smoky, earthy
- Ground Ginger - warm, woody aroma
- White Pepper - mild, slightly sweet
- Ground Cardamom - pungent, aromatic
- Ground Cloves - warm, spicy-sweet
- Cayenne Pepper - mild heat
- Ground Nutmeg - sweet, warm, nutty
- Black Pepper - earthy, woody flavor
- Salt - salty
Get ready to breeze through your prep work with these handy tips for making this incredibly easy recipe!
- When measuring the spices for this recipe, you can use a kitchen scale or even a fine mesh strainer if you happen to have one. It'll give you more accurate measurements, but don't worry if you don't have it!
- If the spices still seem a bit too coarse after mixing, you can try giving them a quick pulse in a food processor or spice grinder to get a finer texture.
- Don't forget to slap on a homemade label (+ date made) on your seasoning jar to keep tabs on all your custom blends!
How to make keto old bay seasoning
Ready to make your own Old Bay seasoning mix? Here's how you do it:
Step 1: Pulse bay leaves
Just toss the bay leaves into a blender or food processor and give them a few pulses until they're ground up.
You can also use a mortar and pestle if you don't have a blender or food processor to make your own ground bay leaves.
Step 2: Mix herbs and spices together
Then, simply put all the ingredients in a small bowl and give it a good stir to mix everything together.
Don't forget to break up any clumps of herbs and spices that may occur during the mixing process.
Step 3: Store it in an airtight container
Once you're done mixing, transfer the seasoning blend into an airtight container and store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
This recipe should last for up to 6 months when stored properly.
How to use Old Bay seasoning
Old bay seasoning is one of the most versatile seasonings out there - you can use it to add an extra kick of flavor (or combine it with some cajun seasoning) to everything from seafood dishes to chicken, vegetables, and more!
Here are some of our favorite recipes that use Old Bay seasoning:
- Keto Gumbo With Shrimp and Sausage
- Blackened Shrimp
- Low-Carb Shrimp Boil Recipe
- Keto Crab Cakes
- Easy Crab Dip With Cream Cheese
- Air Fryer Salmon Bites
- The Best Fish Tacos
The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize it to your own tastes! If you're looking for a more intense flavor, feel free to add more of any spice or herb that you like.
You can also experiment with different herbs and spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, or even herbs like oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
The possibilities are endless!
Here are some questions people often ask about my homemade old bay seasoning recipe. If you don't see your question in this list, please leave it in the comments.
Old Bay seasoning is a popular blend of spices used for many seafood dishes that originated in Baltimore, Maryland.
Old Bay seasoning is a versatile blend of herbs and spices that can be used to season just about any type of seafood dish, including crab, shrimp, or even chicken. You can also use it to add some depth of flavor to soups, stews, and casseroles.
No, this seasoning blend isn't spicy. The cayenne pepper adds a mild heat that is balanced out by the other ingredients. If you want to add some extra spice, feel free to adjust the amount of cayenne pepper or add some crushed red pepper flakes to the recipe accordingly.
Celery salt is a blend of ground celery seed and salt that's used to season dishes. It has an earthy, slightly spicy flavor that pairs well with seafood and poultry dishes. You can buy celery salt in most grocery stores or make your own by mixing together 1 tablespoon of ground celery seeds with 2 teaspoons of table salt.
If you don't have dried bay leaves on hand, you can substitute ¼ teaspoon of ground thyme or oregano. This won't be an exact match, but it will still add a nice flavor to your seasoning blend.
Yes, all the ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten-free, so you don't need to make any substitutions for a gluten-free version.
Yes, this recipe is completely vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
Love this homemade old bay seasoning recipe? Try these!
I'm a big fan of making my own keto spices when I can. Those sneaky carbs can really add up! Here are some more easy and tasty seasoning recipes you should try out next:
- Keto Fajita Seasoning is perfect for spicing up your chicken fajitas or tacos.
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning is a great way to punch up the flavor on your lunchtime salads and sandwiches - or even some homemade keto bagels!
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix is a great way to make your favorite low-carb chili even better.
- Keto Hamburger Seasoning brings out the burger flavor in your favorite low-carb beef patties.
- Low Carb Taco Seasoning is perfect for spicing up your taco night. Adds a ton of flavor to grilled meats and veggies!
Homemade Old Bay Seasoning Recipe
- 3 teaspoons celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Pinch of cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Add the bay leaves to a blender or food processor, and pulse until ground.
- Place all of the ingredients into a small bowl, and stir to combine well.
- Store in an airtight container and use as needed.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.