Add incredible flavor to your favorite Mexican dishes with my keto fajita seasoning mix! It's made with a low-carb sugar substitute for a subtle sweetness that adds the perfect balance to the mix. This authentic blend is perfect for sizzling fajitas or any other dish that needs a little enrichment.
Why you'll love it
A go-to homemade fajita seasoning recipe is a necessary part of anyone's mental recipe box.
My authentic fajita seasoning recipe not only amplifies the flavor of traditional fajitas but can also be used in a variety of other meals, from stir-fries to slow-cooker proteins.
While premade seasoning is convenient, you can taste the difference when using homemade seasoning blends.
Plus, you can easily vary this recipe based on use and preferences to create your perfect blend!
In this post, I’m sharing my favorite homemade fajita seasoning mix along with clever variations and serving suggestions.
Want to try a custom-blended taco seasoning? Check out my Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning Mix.
Here are the simple ingredients that go into this homemade fajita seasoning mix:
Spices are the most important components of any dish; they turn simple, whole ingredients into flavorful masterpieces!
My fajita spice blend includes
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
You can easily customize this blend with fun extras like cayenne pepper for heat and smoked paprika for a smoky addition.
This low-carb fajita seasoning has a touch of sweetness, while still being sugar-free. To achieve this, I include the Swerve sugar substitute in the blend.
This addition won't make your fajitas overly sweet; it will simply enhance the flavors already present.
Creating this keto fajita seasoning is fool-proof! Here are a few perfecting tips:
- Measure spices carefully for the best results.
- Add all ingredients to a lidded mason jar and shake; your mix is ready to store!
- When adding to your cooking, include a splash of water to help ingredients combine.
How to make fajita seasoning
Making this homemade fajita spice blend couldn't be easier! Here's how to do it:
Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and sugar substitute to a bowl.
Mix your ingredients well until combined.
Store in container
If you're not planning on using your keto fajita seasoning right away, you can store it for later use in an airtight container or a food storage bag.
Because this recipe contains just spices and a sugar substitute, it'll keep for a long time.
I like to store my homemade spice blends in labeled mason jars for easy cooking. You can even mix your blends right in the jar.
And, if you feel like indulging, don't forget to round off your meal with a homemade skinny margarita!
Leftover keto fajita seasoning can be used to flavor burrito bowls, stir-fries, cauliflower rice dishes, and your favorite proteins.
You can make your own custom seasoning mixes by using these spices as a base and adding these fun extras:
- Add a bit of cayenne pepper for heat.
- Include smoked paprika in the mix for additional depth and a hint of smoke.
- Add salt to your mixture for even easier cooking.
- Use whichever sugar substitute you prefer or have on hand.
Here are some questions people often ask about my keto fajita seasoning recipe. If you don't see your question in this list, please leave it in the comments.
Many store-bought fajita seasonings contain surprisingly significant carb counts because of added sugars.
My homemade fajita seasoning mix, however, contains just 4g net carbs for the entire recipe!
When purchasing premade seasoning mixes, always double-check the ingredients for hidden sugars that could affect your ketosis.
In a pinch, taco seasoning makes a fair substitute for fajita seasoning.
Though the flavor profiles are different, both suit a variety of Mexican dishes. While your dish won't exactly be true to its original form, it will still be delicious!
Taco seasoning and fajita seasoning are actually pretty similar based on their blends. There are a few key differences though, making them easy to tell apart.
Fajita seasoning tends to contain more cumin than taco seasoning.
Taco seasoning relies a bit more on chili powder and oregano.
Regardless of their differences, both seasoning blends can be used interchangeably in most dishes for similar effects.
In general, fajitas should be a keto-friendly dish because they contain low-carb proteins like chicken, steak, or shrimp along with bell peppers.
If fajitas are made with high-sugar seasoning mixes, however, they will no longer be suitable for a keto diet.
The same is true if they are served with high-carb flour or corn tortillas. Enjoy fajitas on their own, or try them with tasty coconut flour tortillas.
- Best Hamburger Seasoning Recipe is super customizable and can be made as salty and as spicy as you like.
- 10-Minute Keto Enchilada Sauce is made with an amazing spice blend along with tomato paste and butter for a combination that is nothing short of addicting.
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning can be sprinkled on all of your favorite savory dishes, from roasted vegetables to egg muffins, from grilled salmon to low-carb bread recipes.
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix Recipe is a budget-friendly blend that works for a variety of chili, soup, and stir-fry recipes.
- Keto BBQ Sauce Recipe has a wonderful smoky flavor without any added sugars or high-carb ingredients; add it to any of your favorite barbequed proteins, including pulled pork, ribs, wings, and more.
Keto Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Swerve granulated sugar substitute
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, and stir to combine well.
- Use immediately, or store in an airtight container or foos safe storage bag for later use.
Array ( [serving_size] => 1 [calories] => 83 [carbohydrates] => 15 [protein] => 4 [fat] => 3 [saturated_fat] => 0.5 [polyunsaturated_fat] => 1 [monounsaturated_fat] => 1 [sodium] => 177 [potassium] => 477 [fiber] => 7 [sugar] => 2 [vitamin_a] => 5455 [vitamin_c] => 1 [calcium] => 140 [iron] => 7 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.