This easy key lime mousse recipe is a quick dessert to prepare. The prep should take less than ten minutes but it needs some time to set in the refrigerator.
Mousse is a great dessert because it satisfies a sweet tooth without being too heavy after dinner. Plus, it’s such a simple treat to whip up.
Lots of people buy mixes, but it’s just as quick and easy to make it from scratch. That’s why I have several recipes on the site.
This key lime mousse is my latest creation. It came out light and airy with a tart lime flavor.
I created this recipe using my low carb chocolate mousse as a guide. But the unsweetened cocoa is omitted and bottled lime juice is added for flavor.
Fresh key limes are often difficult to find. That’s why I use bottled juice from Nellie & Joe. Regular lime rind can also be used if you can’t get key limes.
Whipping up the heavy cream with a little dissolved gelatin prevents the mousse from flattening. And lime zest is added to enhance the flavor.
How to Make Key Lime Mousse
The recipe comes together in just a few steps. All you need is a good electric mixer that can whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Bloom the gelatin by sprinkling it over cold water. After a couple minutes, stir in boiling water to dissolve the gelatin completely.
- Whip the cream with the sweetener and lime zest in a large mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in the gelatin water slowly as you beat the mixture again until the gelatin is well combined.
That’s all there is to making this low carb dessert! However, it does take at least an hour or two to set in the refrigerator.
Although you can chill the mousse in the mixing bowl, I recommend transferring it to individual dessert dishes.
The finished keto key lime mousse doesn’t have much color. It’s fine if you’re only making it for quick treats.
However, if you’d like to dress it up for company, top it off with some stabilized whipped cream, lime zest, and lime slices. It will make a much prettier presentation!
Other Recipes To Try
Mousse is one of my favorite no-bake keto desserts. Here’s a few other recipes you may want to try:
- Raspberry Mousse is another flavor variation for my basic low carb mousse recipe.
- Keto Cream Cheese Dessert is so quick and easy because it doesn’t need to set in the refrigerator.
- No Bake Banana Split Dessert has been a long time favorite no bake cheesecake dessert.
- Keto Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse can have the taste of black forest cake by adding in some cherry extract.
- Irish Cream Cheesecake is a simple treat that whips up quick in small dessert jars.
Key Lime Mousse
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small bowl; let stand 2 minutes to soften. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear. Cool slightly.
- Combine sweetener and lime zest in large bowl. Add whipping cream and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Pour in gelatin mixture and key lime juice. Beat again until well blended.
- Refrigerate at least two hours or until mousse is set. Store covered in refrigerator.
Array ( [calories] => 309 [carbohydrates] => 2 [protein] => 25 [fat] => 24 [saturated_fat] => 14 [cholesterol] => 80 [sodium] => 36 [vitamin_a] => 800 )
FREE EMAIL SERIES
My Top 5 Secrets to Master Keto!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Post updated on October 9, 2020, with new photos and additional recipe information. Originally published on April 21, 2012.