The Big Mac Salad is inspired by the popular fast food hamburger. It’s a simple keto ground beef salad to enjoy when you’re in the mood for a cheeseburger.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes for keto Big Mac salad. It’s basically a garden salad topped with a Thousand Island style dressing. And it adds on some diced pickles and shredded cheese.
Hidden Carbs in the Dressing
If you take away the sesame seed bun and dressing, the Big Mac is fairly low carb. I’m not sure how many carbs the dressing adds. But it is a bit sweet so I’m sure there’s sugar in it.
I don’t care for sweet dressings so I didn’t add any sweetener to the sauce drizzled on this salad. But, you can add a bit of stevia and or monk fruit extract if you’d like.
I added some optional cayenne pepper to the dressing to spice it up a notch. It gives this Big Mac salad a nice kick. I also added some tomatoes for color.
How to Make a Big Mac Salad
Other than cooking the beef mixture, the salad comes together quickly. It should take no more than twenty minutes to make the dressing and assemble this low carb hamburger salad.
To start, ground beef is sautéed with onions and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Then the meat is seasoned with herbs and spices.
While the meat is cooking, I’ll whisk up the dressing ingredients in a bowl. That way, the flavors have a chance to blend before drizzling over the salad.
I also get the salad mixture ready as the meat cooks. It’s just chopped greens and sliced tomato.
When the meat is cooked, it’s sprinkled over the salad. Then I add the toppings on top of the ground beef crumbles. These include pickles, freshly grated cheddar cheese, and red onions.
In the past, I would make my low carb hamburger salad by just placing a grilled burger on top. However, I like how the loose ground meat is spread throughout the dish.
The dressing that tops this Big Mac salad has great flavor. I prefer it over the special sauce that’s used for the original fast food hamburger. However, you can just use a regular Thousand Island dressing if you prefer
I’m not an onion fan. Since the original recipe calls for onions, I decided to add it. I used red onion on top and regular white in the meat mixture. But feel free to leave the onions out as they do add in some carbs.
I top the low carb cheeseburger salad with freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Big Mac uses American cheese which is a processed cheese and I avoid using it. However, you can top the salad off with any cheese you like.
Other Low Carb Salad Recipes
I hope you enjoy this Big Mac in a bowl! It’s a tasty dish to make year round. But I especially like it for easy cooking over the warmer months.
Want a few more ideas for summer salads? The Cobb and taco salads are some of my favorites. I also enjoy a salad topped with a reverse sear steak and spicy avocado dressing. You can even make a burger cobb salad!
Kitchen Tools Used
Before starting the recipe, you may want to have the following items available:
Big Mac Salad
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef about 600 grams
- 1/2 small onion chopped (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon chili pepper (optional)
- 12 ounces lettuce greens
- 2 spears dill pickles diced
- 3 small tomatoes sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 1 small red onion sliced (optional)
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing
- Dilute tomato paste in water and add some sweetener (if desired). Add mayonnaise and sour cream. Season with sage, oregano, basil, salt and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a slightly greased skillet, sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes without burning. Add lean ground meat then season with thyme, oregano and marjoram. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Add a little chili pepper for some heat. Throughly cook beef. Transfer to a platter lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Cover platter with greens. Layer cooked beef, chopped greens – lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, dill pickles and top with cheddar cheese. Drizzle with dressing. Enjoy!
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.