Enjoy this delicious and easy-to-make keto muffin in a mug recipe for a quick breakfast or snack option. This gluten-free recipe takes less than two minutes to prepare and cook. It's a tasty way to start the day!
Why you’ll love this muffin in a mug recipe
- Convenient and quick: This keto muffin in a mug recipe can be made in less than 2 minutes, making it the perfect option for a busy morning or when you want a satisfying snack without spending too much time in the kitchen.
- Customizable: This recipe is a great base that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Add in some sugar-free chocolate chips, toss in some fresh blueberries, swerve brown sugar, swap out the vanilla extract for almond extract, or mix in some nuts for added crunch.
- Perfect portion control: Making these muffins in a mug allows you to have perfect portion control. No more worrying about overindulging or having extra leftovers tempting you from the kitchen counter.
- Kid-friendly: These keto muffins are not only delicious for adults, but they're also a great option for kids who may be picky eaters! They'll love the soft and fluffy texture and won't even realize they're eating something healthier.
- Great for meal prep: You can easily make a big batch of these muffins in advance and store them in the fridge or freezer for an easy grab-and-go breakfast option. Just heat them up in the microwave when you're ready to enjoy.
This is one of my favorite mug cake recipes because it is so simple to make. Here are all of the ingredients you'll need...
To make these mug cakes, I used a blend of two different low-carb flours: almond flour and coconut flour. The combination of these two flours creates a fluffy and moist texture that mimics traditional flour without all the carbs.
Baking powder is a necessary ingredient to help give these mug muffins some rise and fluffiness.
A pinch of salt helps add a bit of flavor to these muffins.
One egg is needed for binding and moisture. This can be substituted with a flax egg for a vegan option!
Avocado oil is my preferred choice for baking, but any neutral-tasting oil can be used. I'll sometimes swap olive oil or even coconut oil in it instead. Both of them can be swapped in a 1:1 ratio.
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low carb recipe.
- If you want to make this a vegan recipe, just use a vegan egg replacement. All the other ingredients are plant-based.
- When you start mixing the ingredients, do it all in the microwave safe mug or bowl you are going to use. You can even use a small ramekin instead of a coffee mug.
- Busy mornings? To make things even easier on busy mornings, you can pre-measure the dry ingredients in your microwave safe mug the night before.
- Meal prep ahead of time! If you have things ready, when you wake up, just add one egg and a teaspoon of oil and blend well. Pop it in the microwave for a minute and have your instant breakfast muffin. Pretty cool, huh?
How to make a keto mug cake in the microwave
This basic minute microwave muffin in a mug recipe is so easy. I had the recipe memorized after my first try - I know you will too!
Here's how to do it:
Step 1: Combine dry ingredients
In a microwave safe mug or bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined.
Step 2: Add wet ingredients
To the dry ingredients, add one egg and avocado oil (or preferred oil). Mix everything together until there are no lumps. I like to use a fork!
Step 3: Microwave for one minute
Place the mug in the microwave and cook for one minute. Depending on your microwave, you may need to adjust the time accordingly and add an extra 30 seconds. You want the muffin to be firm but still moist.
Step 4: Enjoy!
Carefully remove the mug from the microwave and let it cool for a few seconds before digging in. You can eat it right out of the mug or slide it out onto a plate and add your favorite breakfast toppings.
Enjoy your delicious keto muffin in a mug!
What To Serve With A Keto Muffin
This is a very basic recipe and it tastes delicious with other low-carb breakfast or snack foods.
I usually eat one warm with a bit of butter and sugar-free raspberry jam while saving the other one for later.
Even on mornings when I have time to make bacon and eggs, I like to whip up a minute microwave muffin in a mug so I have a little "bread" on the side.
If you like eggs benedict, simply toast one of these minute muffins and use it as the bread.
Frequently Asked Questions About Keto Muffins In A Mug
Before I share the recipe (it's just a little further below), I am going to answer some questions people have about these mug muffins.
You'll get two tasty servings from this low-carb microwave muffin in a mug recipe.
The leftover muffin reheats well in the toaster. You can also use a toaster oven or broil it for a minute.
Another thing I like to do with one of the minute microwave muffins is to use it to make a low-carb breakfast sandwich.
Each muffin is rather thick so you can slice it again for thinner halves.
For a breakfast sammie, simply put an egg, cheese, and bacon between the two slices.
Presto, a super easy to make bacon, egg, and cheese muffin sandwich!
There are just so many things you can do with these quick and easy minute muffins. It would be impossible to list them all!
In fact, you can even top them with some sugar-free chocolate chips for a little sweetness! Or add some spice for turmeric muffins.
Even though fruit is a "sometimes treat" on keto, if you add a few slices of strawberries or a few blueberries on top, you can definitely enjoy this sweet treat.
Keto Muffin In A Coffee Mug- Perfect For A Quick And Easy Breakfast!
I'm so glad that I added the muffin in a minute recipe to my breakfast rotation. They are a great addition egg dishes too like my sausage egg casserole.
Enjoy this quick and easy low-carb bread recipe that takes only a couple of short minutes to whip up. It's a great way to make time for a healthy low-carb breakfast before starting your day!
Other Low-Carb Microwave Mug Recipes To Try
There are lots of other mug cakes and ideas you can make in your microwave. These are some of my favorite low-carb desserts!
- Keto Lemon Mug Cake has a fresh and zesty flavor that will melt in your mouth.
- Low-Carb Brownie In A Mug is the ultimate dessert to enjoy when you are craving chocolate.
- Strawberry Mug Cake is made with two indulgent layers and a light cream cheese frosting.
- Coconut Flour Pumpkin Mug Muffin is the perfect thing to enjoy when you want something that is full of fall flavors.
- Keto Chocolate Molten Lava Cake has a rich, fudgy filling that oozes out of each bite.
Keto Muffin In A Mug (Microwave Recipe)
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt in a microwavable coffee mug.
- Add egg and avocado oil. Stir well with a fork.
- Microwave on high for 60 to 90 seconds.
- Remove the muffin from the cup using a butter knife and slice in half.
- To bake, I suggest placing in 325-350°F oven and bake until it tests done (check every 3-5 minutes).
Array ( [calories] => 126 [carbohydrates] => 4 [protein] => 5 [fat] => 10 [saturated_fat] => 2 [cholesterol] => 82 [sodium] => 237 [fiber] => 2 [polyunsaturated_fat] => 1 [monounsaturated_fat] => 2 [trans_fat] => 0.01 [potassium] => 30 [sugar] => 1 [vitamin_a] => 119 [calcium] => 64 [iron] => 1 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: March 28, 2016... Last Updated: November 17, 2023, with new photos and additional recipe information.