Need a quick way to satisfy your chocolate craving? This rich keto chocolate mug cake whips up in minutes for a delicious, guilt-free treat!
Some people don’t realize that desserts can be a part of a healthy keto diet.
I personally have less of a sweet tooth since switching to low carb. However, sweet dishes are often a fun part of celebrations or a way to treat your family. That’s why I have plenty of keto desserts on the blog.
But what about when you just want something easy?
I know I don’t always want to spend time in the kitchen making a cake, cookies, or brownies. Plus, those recipes are for multiple servings, which can be tempting to have around the house.
This is why I love this chocolate mug cake recipe!
A quick treat for one
Mug cakes are single serving desserts with a cake-like texture. You cook them in the microwave using microwaveable mugs or similar small container. That’s where the name comes from.
This keto chocolate mug cake is perfect when the chocolate craving hits and you want something fast!
With just a few steps, you can dive into a soft, warm, delicious cake to enjoy all by yourself. There’s only one serving, so you don’t have to worry about overindulging. You can simply indulge.
Sounds pretty good, right?
This treat is low carb as well as gluten free and paleo friendly. It’s a great guilt free indulgence for just about anyone.
Next time you need a little dessert, you have to try this easy chocolate treat.
How to make keto chocolate mug cake in microwave
The beauty of this recipe is how easy it is to make! Everything comes together in one container and is ready in minutes.
- In a coffee mug or ramekin, mix together coconut flour and cocoa powder. Make sure the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Next, stir in the egg, almond milk, avocado oil, vanilla extract, and sweeteners. Stir everything together until you have a nice, smooth batter. I like using a combination of monk fruit and stevia liquid drops fro the sweeteners.
- Add in a few chocolate chips if desired.
- Microwave on high for 1 ½ to 2 minutes. It’s better to have an undercooked mug cake than an overcooked one. Also, keep in mind that the cake will continue cooking a bit in the mug after you take it out of the microwave.
- Allow to cool slightly, then add any desired toppings. I like to use sugar free whipped cream and chocolate chips.
That’s it! Measure out the ingredients, mix it all up, stick it in the microwave, and your keto chocolate cake in a mug is ready to go.
How to make it in the oven
If you prefer to use the oven instead of the microwave, you can still make this recipe in a matter of minutes.
Follow steps 1-3 above, making sure to use an oven-safe ramekin. Then, bake at 350°F until the cake is set. I recommend checking after 5 minutes, and don’t cook it any longer than 10 minutes.
The bake time is a bit longer, but you can still make a low carb, gluten free chocolate mug cake just as easily in the oven!
Keto chocolate cake in a mug with coconut flour
I decided to use coconut flour for this paleo chocolate mug cake. In my opinion, coconut flour is best for soft, fluffy texture.
Mug cakes can get a bad reputation for turning out too dry. This is why I didn’t want to use almond flour in the recipe. I find that almond flour leads to a drier texture and tends to be more dense.
However, keep in mind that coconut flour can vary in absorbency. If your mug cake turns out a little dry, try adding a little more liquid or fat to the batter.
This recipe is for 1 serving of mug cake.
The serving will have 12 grams of total carbs with 7 grams of fiber. This means the keto chocolate mug cake will have 5 net carbs for the whole thing.
If you want to serve it with whipped cream or ice cream on top, you’ll need to account for the extra carbs.
Other low carb dessert recipes
Looking for a few more recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Keto Peanut Butter Fudge is made with cream cheese for a smooth, creamy texture that’s amazingly rich!
- No bake Keto Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse uses cherry extract for a decadent black forest flavor.
- Keto Chocolate Cupcakes are topped with a sugar-free cream cheese hazelnut frosting.
- Keto Cream Cheese Brownies combine two classic desserts and only have 3 net carbs per serving!
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes are perfect for any celebration or simply to share with friends and family.
You can also check out some of these easy desserts.
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 drops stevia liquid extract see note
- 10 drops monk fruit liquid see note
- 1 tablespoon sugar free chocolate chips optional
- sugar free whipped cream optional
- In coffee mug or ramekin, mix together coconut flour and cocoa powder.
- Stir in egg, almond milk, avocado oil, vanilla extract, and sweetener(s) until well combined. Add in a few chocolate chips if desired.
- Microwave on high for 1 ½ to 2 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Top with optional sugar free whipped cream and chocolate chips if using.
Array ( [serving_size] => 1 [calories] => 285 [carbohydrates] => 12 [protein] => 10 [fat] => 22 [saturated_fat] => 6 [cholesterol] => 211 [sodium] => 150 [potassium] => 154 [fiber] => 7 [sugar] => 2 [vitamin_a] => 306 [calcium] => 68 [iron] => 2 [serving_unit] => cake )
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: March 27, 2017... Last Updated: April 15, 2020