Looking for something super flavorful that only takes minutes to prep? This spicy crockpot chicken stew is a one-pot slow cooker dish with a creamy broth and a spicy kick!
Slow cooker recipes are known for being easy. But this spicy crockpot chicken stew might be the best one yet! It’s hearty and flavorful, plus everything comes together in one pot.
The inspiration for this stew comes from a Spicy Chilli Chicken recipe by fellow blogger Blessing at Global Food Book. I used similar ingredients but decided to cook everything in my crock pot instead of the oven. That makes this dish super easy to prep.
All you have to do is throw the ingredients in the pot and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least six hours. That means you could prep it in the morning and then start cooking at lunch. Or, even easier, prep everything the night before and just turn it on the next day!
The result is a creamy stew with a kick that is absolutely delicious and packed with flavor. That’s why this spicy crock pot recipe may become one of your new favorite weeknight dishes!
Slow Cooker Chili Pepper Chicken Stew
This recipe only takes minutes to prepare. And by using the crock pot for marinating the ingredients, it cuts down on dirty dishes, too!
First, we’ll combine the ingredients in the crock pot to marinate:
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Slice the jalapeños and chop the chili pepper, bell pepper, and green onion.
- Place all the ingredients into a crock pot (4 quart or larger). If your peanut butter is very thick, you may want to whisk it into the broth so it’s fully blended, but this step is optional.
- Place in the refrigerator covered and allow the ingredients to marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Now it’s time to cook the stew:
- Remove the pot from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature 15-20 minutes. This will help prevent cracking the pot from a sudden temperature change.
- Place the pot in the slow cooker stand and turn the heat to low.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Your crockpot spicy chicken is ready to enjoy! With six servings in this recipe, you can easily feed a large family or save the leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
Extra Spicy Crockpot Chicken
Now I’m a fan of hot food, but this dish set my mouth on fire. I served it with full fat sour cream and thought it was perfect.
If you don’t enjoy as much spice, there are a few ways to cool this dish down. For example, choose something mild for the large chili pepper. I used a poblano, but you could use something milder.
I also used two jalapeños, one seeded and one unseeded. If you seed both of them, that will reduce the spice. Finally, you can reduce the amount of crushed red pepper in the recipe.
Feel free to experiment until you find your perfect spice level.
Variations for this recipe
Want to add or change some things about this spicy chicken crockpot recipe? There are a few ways to play around with the flavors and ingredients.
First, if you have an allergy to peanuts, you could substitute sunflower seed butter. The other option is to leave out that ingredient, but it does add some nice flavor and thickness.
You could also add more vegetables like onion or celery. These would add texture as well as deepen the flavor. And of course, you can use any kind of peppers you like.
Finally, if you want something even heartier, you could use cooked cauliflower rice. Either serve the stew over the low carb rice, or stir it right into the crock pot before serving!
Other low carb soup and stew recipes
Looking for more keto soup or stew recipes that are easy to make? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili (No Beans) without beans is low-carb, full of flavor, and dairy-free, although you can add sour cream and cheese if you prefer!
- Mexican Chicken Soup (Crock Pot) only requires four simple ingredients, and everything comes together in the slow cooker.
- Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup made with sausage and bacon is an easy and comforting dish that’s packed with flavor!
- Keto Vegetable Beef Soup based on a classic Filipino recipe is hearty, warming, and quick to prep.
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana is packed with sausage and healthy vegetables for a keto version of this favorite Italian cream soup!
Spicy Chicken Crockpot Recipe
When it comes to slow cooker dishes, this is definitely one of my favorites. Even though it’s hotter than I expected, I absolutely love the flavor. It’s just an excuse to eat it with more sour cream!
But what I really love about this spicy crock pot recipe is how little time it takes to prepare. And the fact that it can be put together the night before is even better! Simple dishes like this make eating delicious low carb meals a breeze.
Spicy Crock Pot Chicken Stew
- 3 pieces skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced (seeded if desired)
- 1 large chili pepper
- 1 green or red bell pepper
- 8 ounces chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 6 teaspoons peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients into a 4 quart crock pot or larger.
- Marinate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove crock from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature 15-20 minutes to prevent cracking crock.
- Place crock on slow cooker stand and turn crock pot on low.
- Allow to cook on low setting 6 to 8 hours.
Array ( [calories] => 150 [carbohydrates] => 4.9 [protein] => 20 [fat] => 5.3 [sodium] => 386 [fiber] => 1.3 )
FREE EMAIL SERIES
My Top 5 Secrets to Master Keto!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: February 28, 2015… Last Updated: August 17, 2020, to provide more tips and information about the recipe.