If you need a fast and easy keto recipe, cooking a whole chicken in the air fryer is the way to go. It's the perfect last-minute meal for when you need a quick dinner solution!
This whole chicken recipe is great as a main dish and pairs well with all kinds of sides. It always comes out tasting amazing and feels special and well thought out, even though it requires very little work.
This air fryer chicken recipe is made quickly, with very minimal ingredients that you probably already have on hand. All you have to do is pop it in your handy air fryer and leave it to do its thing.
Cooking a whole chicken in the air fryer is the perfect last-minute meal idea that is still healthy and Keto-friendly.
Ingredients Needed To Make Air Fryer Whole Chicken
As far as recipes go, air fryer chicken is a very simple one to add to your weekly routine or to use in a pinch. This is an easy-to-customize dish according to your taste or what ingredients you have in your pantry.
Here's what you need:
The most obvious and most important ingredient that anyone needs to make an air fryer chicken is the chicken.
For this recipe, you will need a whole chicken, though some recipes call for certain cuts. I find it easier to air-fry a whole chicken. It doesn’t require much work and can create several meals.
Tip: Try to buy organic, free-range chicken if you can!
Oil helps the seasonings stick and adds richness to the cooked chicken. It will also add a bit of crispiness and flavor once cooked.
I used olive oil, but you can use what you have on hand. Avocado oil also works really great!
For flavor, I have gone with a simple mix of traditional chicken seasonings that will pair well with other foods. The mix includes poultry seasoning, salt pepper and a little garlic powder. Super simple!
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low-carb recipe.
- You can easily make substitutions to the seasonings in this recipe to suit your taste or preference. All of them (except for salt) can be substituted with what you have on hand.
- For an Italian-inspired air fryer chicken, you could season it with a blend of oregano and basil or you could make a lemon pepper chicken for a brighter flavor profile.
- You can substitute the olive oil if you have an oil preference or just don't have any on hand. Coconut or avocado oil are also great options.
- For a juicy chicken, make sure to tie the legs together to lock the moisture inside. This will help the chicken to stay moist while cooking instead of drying out.
- To avoid overcooking the chicken legs and drying them out, begin by cooking the chicken breast side down.
- Allow the meat to rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it to avoid losing the juices.
How To Air Fry A Whole Chicken
This chicken recipe is super simple to make! All of the ingredients and steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here are a few tips to get you started:
Prep The Chicken
While you are preheating your air fryer to 350 degrees, rinse the chicken and pat dry. Then, rub olive oil all over both sides of the chicken.
Season The Meat
Sprinkle the poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste on all sides.
Cook And Serve!
Place the chicken breast side up in the air fryer, and cook for 30 minutes.
Then, flip the chicken over and cook for another 30 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Serve and enjoy!
What To Serve With Air-Fried Chicken
This air fryer whole chicken makes an excellent main course. But, you will want to pair it with some complimentary side dishes.
Zucchini patties would also pair well with this dish!
You could also serve an assortment of roasted vegetables as it would go excellent with this chicken recipe for a quick and easy dinner. Low-carb vegetables such as cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts are great options!
Frequently Asked Questions About Air Fryer Whole Chicken
Before we get to the recipe card just a little further below, here are some questions people often ask about it.
How do I know if the chicken is cooked through?
To safely cook any meat, especially large pieces like a whole chicken, you should invest in a meat thermometer.
To make sure that your chicken is completely cooked through, use a meat thermometer. First, make sure that the internal temperature is 165 degrees. If it is lower than that, put it back into the air fryer for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, check it with the thermometer again.
Is it safe to cook a whole chicken in an air fryer?
It might seem intimidating to cook a whole chicken in an air fryer at first, but it's perfectly safe to do so. The most important thing for anyone to do is to check the temperature of the meat before eating.
As long as the internal temperature of the chicken is 165, it is safe to eat.
Can leftover air fryer chicken be frozen for later?
Any leftover chicken can be easily saved for later through freezing. All you will need to do is strip the remaining meat off of the bones. Then, freeze in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container.
Frozen chicken can last up to four months!
How long will this chicken last in the fridge?
Chicken does not have a very long shelf life, but you can safely store it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. If you need to store it any longer, you will need to freeze it to prevent bacteria growth.
If you need a quick and easy main dish, an air fryer whole chicken is a great keto-friendly option that can be quickly seasoned and tossed into the air fryer while you work on preparing the other side dishes.
It's a simple keto meal that I would recommend to anyone new to the keto diet, or who just has a limited amount of time to make healthy food. It's an easy dish that can be dressed up or down for a fast but nourishing meal.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you love this recipe, check out my other air fryer recipes. These are some of my favorites!
- Low-Carb Fried Chicken is made in the air fryer and creates a perfectly crispy, keto meal.
- Air Fryer Steak is deliciously seasoned and comes out juicy every time.
- Keto Jalapeno Poppers are not only keto-friendly but super easy to make in your air fryer.
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles use low-carb pork rinds to keep the satisfying crunch of classic fried pickles.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 1 small whole chicken around 5-6 lbs if your air fryer is big enough to hold it
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Remove the bag from the inside of your chicken, rinse well and dry.
- Rub the olive oil all over both sides of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste on all sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken breast side up in the air fryer, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.