Add some savory flavors to your table with these creamy cauliflower grits. They are topped with bacon and have the irresistible flavor of sharp cheddar cheese!
Why you'll love it
There is something alluring and addicting about cheesy cauliflower grits. Since they are low-carb, you don't feel guilty eating them. The flavor is the epitome of savory comfort food.
Make this cheesy cauliflower grits recipe when you struggle to find good side dishes for your keto meals. It has a bold and powerful flavor and a light texture.
Eating grits is a staple in the south. You don't have to give up your favorite comfort foods when you are on the keto diet. Instead, just remake them with low-carb ingredients.
If you love mashed cauliflower, then you will enjoy these low-carb grits. They are a fantastic way to replace mashed potatoes or traditional grits.
This classic recipe resembles grits with the same creamy texture and salty taste. Topping it with bacon just makes it so much better.
To make cauliflower grits, you just need a few simple ingredients. Here's a bit more information about what I used.
Either buy riced cauliflower or make your own. No matter what, just make sure you remove as much moisture as you can from it.
This is what makes the grits nice and creamy. For the keto diet, use full-fat heavy cream.
Either salted or unsalted butter are the perfect choice. If you use salted butter, don't add extra salt.
Always use bacon that is made without any added sugar. That means you should avoid maple-cured bacon.
Sharp cheddar cheese will give you the best flavor. Avoid hidden carbs and shred or grate your cheese at home.
This is the only spice you need! You can add a bit of onion powder, too, if you want to give it a bit more flavor.
Please note: Check out the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of ingredients used to make this low-carb recipe.
- Use a food processor. Add cauliflower florets to the food processor and let it rice the cauliflower for you.
- Pre-make the bacon. Let the slices cool completely after cooking, then chop them up into small pieces.
- Remove moisture from the cauliflower rice. Place the riced cauliflower in a cheesecloth and squeeze out as much moisture and water as you can.
Making cheesy cauliflower grits is as easy as cooking everything in a saucepan. There are just four simple steps in this easy recipe.
Add butter to a saucepan and melt it over medium-high heat.
Simmer cauliflower and heavy cream
Next, add cauliflower rice and heavy whipping cream to the saucepan. Then, cover it and simmer the cauliflower mixture for about 10 minutes or until the cauliflower grits are tender.
Mix in cheese and bacon
Remove cauliflower grits from the heat and add the shredded cheese and bacon pieces. Top with fresh parsley, and serve!
????️ Serving suggestions
This recipe also tastes incredible with your favorite salmon or shrimp recipes. It has a mild flavor that plays well with almost anything you make. That's why it's such a popular recipe!
There are a lot of different ways you can change up this recipe for cheesy cauliflower grits. If you make any changes to the recipe, let me know in the comments.
- Make shrimp and grits. Mix in some spicy shrimp or blackened shrimp to turn this side dish into a full meal.
- Creamy grits. Add cream cheese instead of cheddar cheese for a rich and flavorful grits recipe.
- Change the garnish. Top with sliced green onions instead of parsley.
- Make it spicier. Sprinkle some cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning onto the cauliflower grits for some heat.
Here are some questions people often ask about how to make cheesy cauliflower grits. If you don't see your question in this list, please let me know in the comments.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. It's best to reheat them on the stove for the best results.
Yes, you can freeze cheesy cauliflower grits. Store them in a freezer-friendly food storage bag and keep them in the freezer for up six months.
To thaw, I suggest placing the bag of frozen cauliflower grits in the refrigerator overnight and then reheating it on the stove.
Cauliflower grits are softer and creamier than cauliflower rice. They have the consistency of porridge.
Classic grits are made from boiled cornmeal, mixed with spices and either cream or water. To make them keto-friendly, we used cauliflower rice instead of cornmeal.
Grits are only good on a low-carb diet if you use keto-friendly ingredients. That's why I replaced cornmeal with cauliflower rice.
If you enjoyed this keto grits recipe, I have more ideas you'll like. For more keto cauliflower ideas, check out my low-carb appetizer collection. Or take a look at some of my favorites:
- Cauliflower Pizza Bites are fun to eat for lunch or as a finger-food appetizer.
- Bang Bang Cauliflower is slightly-spicy and served with a tasty sauce.
- Filipino Garlic Cauliflower Fried Rice is a unique recipe from the Philippines that will elevate your dinner.
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites can be made extra spicy or mild, and they are perfect for serving at football-watching parties.
- Cauliflower Tortillas are perfect for holding tacos and other lunch wrap recipes.
Cheesy Bacon Cauliflower Grits
- 1 medium head cauliflower riced finely
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup chopped bacon pieces
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium high heat on the stove.
- Place the cauliflower and heavy whipping cream into the saucepan.
- Cover and simmer until the cauliflower grits are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and bacon. Stir well until the cheese is melted, then serve.
Array ( [calories] => 292 [carbohydrates] => 7 [protein] => 10 [fat] => 26 [saturated_fat] => 16 [polyunsaturated_fat] => 1 [monounsaturated_fat] => 6 [trans_fat] => 1 [cholesterol] => 83 [sodium] => 381 [potassium] => 343 [fiber] => 2 [sugar] => 3 [vitamin_a] => 888 [vitamin_c] => 46 [calcium] => 182 [iron] => 1 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.