An easy keto creme brulee recipe featuring a rich custard base topped with a layer of caramelized sweetener. It’s a truly decadent treat that’s only 4 net carbs per serving!
Creme brulee has a reputation as a fancy dessert. I think that’s just because it has a french name and requires a kitchen torch.
In fact, this keto creme brulee is quite simple to make! But let me tell you, each spoonful is absolutely divine.
The rich, low carb custard base topped with a sheer layer of caramelized sweetener makes for a truly decadent dessert. The contrast of the two is just perfect.
Crème brûlée translates to “burnt cream.” That doesn’t sound quite as fancy, right?
In reality, we don’t actually burn the cream. We bake the cream mixture into a keto custard, then top it with caramelized sweetener.
If you’re looking for a truly indulgent treat, you have to try creme brulee. Whether impressing guests, making a treat for a loved one, or simply enjoying it yourself, this may become your new favorite keto dessert!
How to make the recipe
The keto creme brulee recipe comes together in a few main steps. We’ll simmer the cream and sweetener on the stove, whisk it with the eggs and extracts, then bake. Once it’s done, caramelize the sweetener on top and you’re ready to serve!
Here’s the step-by-step for making this low carb custard.
- Heat a small pot on the stove over medium heat. Then add heavy cream and confectioner’s sweetener to the pot, whisking until well combined.
- Continue to heat the cream mixture until it comes to a simmer, then remove it from heat and set aside.
Beaten egg mixture
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla extract, and almond extract until well combined.
- To temper the egg yolks, add a large spoonful of the heated cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking quickly as you do so.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture slowly into the cream mixture, whisking the entire time until you have a smooth consistency.
Baking and finishing
- Pour the mixture evenly into two ramekins.
- Add water to a casserole dish until it’s about 1 inch deep. This will be the water bath for the low carb creme brulee.
- Place the ramekins in the casserole dish with the water, making sure no water gets into the ramekins.
- Place the casserole dish with the ramekins in the oven and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the custard has set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow the custard to cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of granulated sweetener on top of each. Use a kitchen torch to caramelize and harden it to a crust before serving.
Calories in low carb creme brulee
This sugar free custard is a rich, indulgent dessert with a base made primarily from heavy whipping cream. So while it is low in carbohydrates, it is not necessarily low calorie.
This recipe is for 2 servings, and each serving will have about 475 calories.
That may seem like a lot, but compare that to the non-keto creme brulee from the restaurant chain Bonefish Grill, which has 910 calories per serving!
The custard i not necessarily a dessert you want to eat every night. But for a special occasion, it is definitely worth it.
Nutritional information for the custard
Wondering about the sugar and carbs?
If you order this dessert at a restaurant, it will be packed with both. According to Bonefish Grill’s nutritional info, their version has 37 grams of sugar and 40 carbs per serving.
This recipe, on the other hand, contains zero sugar and only 4 net carbs per serving!
It’s pretty amazing how keto cooking can transform a dish. With a few simple switches, you can enjoy a healthy creme brulee without any guilt.
Toppings for keto creme brulee
Because this is a higher calorie dessert, you’ll want to stick to low calorie toppings.
Berries and fresh mint are a great option. Many traditional creme brulees feature a few blueberries or strawberry slices. You could also add a small dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Personally, I don’t think this treat needs any toppings. It’s so decadent all on its own!
Other sugar free dessert recipes
Looking for a few more keto desserts to indulge in without the guilt? Check out a few of these favorites:
- White Chocolate Keto Truffles have a creamy, soft filling cased in rich dark chocolate.
- Chocolate Cupcakes with hazelnut frosting feature this classic flavor pairing in one easy dessert.
- Keto Cheesecake Bars combine two of the very best desserts into one decadent bar!
- Mascarpone Mousse is made with just three ingredients for a quick and easy treat any time!
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake combines peanut butter and chocolate into one indulgent cheesecake.
- Sopilla Cheesecake Bars are combine a sweet pastry with cheesecake filling.
Keto Creme Brulee
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 1 C. Heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. Swerve confectioners sugar substitute
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. Almond extract
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2-3 Tbsp. Swerve granulated sweetener
- Mini kitchen torch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pot over medium heat on the stove, add the heavy whipping cream and confectioners sugar substitute. Whisk to combine.
- Cook the cream mixture until it comes to a simmer, and then remove from the heat.
- Whisk together two egg yolks, the vanilla extract and the almond extract in a bowl until well combined.
- Spoon in a large spoonful of the heated cream mixture, and whisk quickly to temper it with the egg yolks.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture slowly into the cream mixture, whisking the entire time.
- Distribute the mixture evenly between two ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a casserole dish with a bit of water in the bottom, creating a water bath.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the custard has set in the center of the creme brulee.
- Let the creme brulee cool to room temperature.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of granulated sweetener to the top of each creme brulee, and use a kitchen torch to caramelize and harden it to a crust before serving.
Array ( [calories] => 475 [carbohydrates] => 4 [protein] => 5 [fat] => 49 [saturated_fat] => 29 [cholesterol] => 357 [sodium] => 54 [potassium] => 108 [sugar] => 1 [vitamin_a] => 1998 [vitamin_c] => 1 [calcium] => 100 [iron] => 1 )
FREE EMAIL SERIES
My Top 5 Secrets to Master Keto!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.