Fry up a beautiful and satisfying Tuscan chicken skillet for dinner. This combination of chicken, tomatoes, and spinach is incredible!
Don't you just love one-pan meals? You fry up everything together, cleaning is minimal, and you don't have to worry about sides. It's a dream come true on busy days!
Lots of Italian recipes are made in one pan. From meat and veggie pasta to skillet dinners (like this lasagna skillet)or this chicken one- they are simple and delicious.
When it comes to cooking, simple is better. I used all the best Italian seasonings in this chicken dish while keeping it keto-friendly.
Why you'll love it
Juicy chicken in a savory sauce, covered in earthy mushrooms and sweet grape tomatoes.
This is a recipe that is at home in a fancy Italian restaurant, so when you make it for your friends or family, they will really be impressed.
You'll appreciate how incredibly simple it is but how complex it tastes. As it cooks in the skillet, you'll smell all the fresh herbs and spices. It will make you so hungry that you'll pray the cooking time speeds up!
Plus, using a cast-iron skillet really infuses the flavors together. I am partial to my cast iron skillet and love creating new recipes to make in it.
This Tuscan chicken recipe uses all fresh ingredients that are nutritious and bursting with flavor. They are all very easy to find too!
The best kind of chicken to use in this creamy Tuscan recipe is a chicken breast. Even though breast meat dries out faster, it will stay juicy when you cook it in this savory sauce.
You can also make this Tuscan chicken skillet with chicken thighs. Either bone-in or boneless will work perfectly!
I used a combination of oregano and rosemary. You can replace those with some Italian seasoning to keep it easier.
For the garlic, use fresh minced garlic. It has the best aromas and flavors. In a pinch, you can substitute with garlic powder.
Other optional spices you can add are onion powder or red pepper flakes.
I used heavy whipping cream (or regular heavy cream) and chicken broth to make the creamy sauce.
If you want to keep this dairy-free, then use coconut cream instead!
Try to use fresh spinach in this creamy Tuscan chicken recipe - either large or baby spinach will work.
I used grape tomatoes because they have a sweet flavor and are really easy to prepare.
You could use a can of sun-dried tomatoes instead! They will give the dish a saltier taste, so cut back on how much salt you add.
I also added some mushrooms to round out the sweetness from the tomatoes with some earthy notes.
I've heard of people adding artichoke hearts to the skillet. It will increase the carbs but is also really good for you too.
Lastly, the cheese!
You'll need some grated parmesan cheese. There are a lot of different types of cheese you can use, but parmesan has the best texture and goes really well with creamy dishes.
- Add oil the skillet. When you cook the chicken, either add olive oil or melted butter to the skillet so that the chicken doesn't burn and turns a nice golden brown color.
- Use a food thermometer. An instant read food thermometer is best. Chicken should be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Thicken with xanthan gum. If you allow the sauce to simmer long enough, it will cook down and thicken on its own. If you still want it thicker, you can sprinkle a little xanthan gum.
Skillet meals are some of the easiest kinds of dinners you can make. Your whole family will love this Tuscan chicken recipe!
Cook the chicken
First, season the chicken with spices. Then, sear it in the pan over medium-high heat.
Tip: If you are using chicken thighs, cook with the skin side down.
After it is fully cooked, remove chicken.
Next, melt butter in the same skillet and saute the garlic, tomatoes, and mushrooms. After they are all soft, add the spinach and stir until it wilts.
Add the sauce
Now it's time to make the sauce for your Tuscan chicken skillet. Stir in the chicken broth, parmesan cheese, and heavy whipping cream.
Simmer the meal
Add the chicken back to the skillet. Simmer it all together until the sauce is thickened.
Serve immediately! It tastes the best hot out of the pan.
️ Serving suggestions
Since you are making everything in the same pan, this is a one-pan meal. You don't really need a lot of different side dishes.
Make some mashed turnips on the side. Then, drizzle the chicken's sauce on the turnips.
If you enjoy rolls with your dinner, then make some low-carb keto cheddar biscuits. They taste just like classic biscuits.
You can never go wrong with a salad! This spinach strawberry salad is topped with a tangy vinaigrette with lots of the same Italian flavors as the chicken.
There are a few different ways you can change this meal, and it will still turn out delicious.
If you want a dairy-free meal, use coconut cream instead of heavy whipping cream. This is the thick part of canned coconut milk.
You can also make it taste spicy by adding some red pepper flakes and peppers.
Mix some pesto into the sauce for a burst of sweet and earthy flavors.
To make it look even fancier, garnish with fresh parsley and sliced green onions (scallions).
Before we get to the printable recipe card, here are some questions people often ask about how to make it.
Yes, you can definitely serve this over your favorite type of low-carb pasta. Try it over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or another keto-friendly noodle.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
The Olive Garden actually made this dish really popular. It's a creamy chicken recipe made with traditional Italian spices, tomatoes, and spinach.
The Olive Garden serves it over pasta, but I omitted the pasta in order to keep it low-carb.
If you enjoyed this Tuscan chicken skillet recipe, here are some more easy one-pan dinner ideas that you should make next. They are some of my favorites.
- Easy Ground Beef And Squash Skillet is filling and only has 4 grams net carbs per serving.
- Chicken And Shrimp Stir Fry is filled with meat and veggies and topped with a tangy sauce.
- Cabbage Lasagna is a wonderful new low-carb way to prepare this classic dish.
- Chicken And Green Bean Stir Fry has 5 grams net carbs and is sweetened with juicy tomatoes.
- Easy Mexican Chicken Lasagna has flavors from Mexico and is a delicious and cheesy dinner.
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary, and sear in the pan until evenly browned on both sides and almost cooked through.
- Remove the chicken.
- Add the butter to the skillet, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Stir in the garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Mix in the tomatoes and mushrooms. Add in the spinach.
- Cook until the tomatoes start to burst open, and the spinach is wilted.
- Pour in the chicken broth, Parmesan cheese and heavy whipping cream.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, and simmer until the sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through.
Array ( [calories] => 381 [carbohydrates] => 4 [protein] => 28 [fat] => 28 [saturated_fat] => 14 [polyunsaturated_fat] => 2 [monounsaturated_fat] => 9 [trans_fat] => 1 [cholesterol] => 141 [sodium] => 588 [potassium] => 690 [fiber] => 1 [sugar] => 1 [vitamin_a] => 3085 [vitamin_c] => 19 [calcium] => 132 [iron] => 2 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.