A quick and easy keto pepper steak low-carb beef stir fry is perfect for weeknight dinners. It’s a simple dish that can be made in less than 30 minutes.
When it comes to low-carb dinners, nothing beats a quick and easy meat and vegetable dish. That’s why pepper steak has been one of my long time favorites.
It’s perfect for weeknight family dinners because it cooks up in less than 30 minutes. It comes together even faster if all the ingredients have already been prepped and sliced.
That’s why I know you’re going to love this low-carb keto beef stir fry. It’s so simple you really don’t even need a recipe!
Keto Pepper Steak Ingredients
I usually make the dish with just sliced green pepper and onion stir fried with some soy sauce, broth, and seasoning. Mushrooms are completely optional.
Sometimes I’ll add in another keto friendly vegetable like broccoli or baby corn. A whole 15 ounce can of baby corn has just 10 grams of carbs, 6 of which are fiber. That’s just 4g net carbs for added to the 4 serving dish!
How To Make Low-Carb Beef Stir Fry
It only takes a few steps to make a keto stir fry with beef:
- Brown the beef with garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. The meat can be seasoned with salt and pepper before or after cooking. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Stir fry the pepper and onions until tender.
- Add broth, soy sauce, and additional vegetables. Continue cooking until vegetables are crisp tender and mushrooms have softened.
- Return beef to skillet and cook until heated throughout.
That’s all there is to it!
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe was originally published in 2010. Since that time, I’ve had a few questions so let me answer some of those here.
Red meat is a popular food on keto because it contains zero carbs. But some cooks use seasoning and rubs that aren’t carb free so you may need to look out for that.
Although I used sirloin in the recipe, flank steak is generally used for stir frying. That’s because it tends to have more flavor and does well when cut thin.
Most of the liquid should evaporate off when cooking the vegetables. But you can sprinkle in about ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum to the broth mixture. Or, a tablespoon or so of coconut or almond flour can be mixed into the soy sauce before adding.
One medium green bell pepper has about 6g carbs and ¼ cup onion adds roughly 4g carbs. So the peppers and onions in the recipe contain about 10g total carbs which is just over 2g per serving.
Although not needed, I like to add a bit of cauliflower rice as a side to this low-carb beef stir fry recipe. I whip it up quickly in the microwave which takes only 5 minutes.
You can also pre-shred the cauliflower and store it in single servings in the freezer. Then, when you want a serving, just pop it in the microwave or steam it up!
Adding in cauliflower rice really does complete this keto pepper steak dish. And, it reminds me of the dishes my father used to serve when I was growing up.
Other Easy Ways To Cook Beef
I hope you enjoy this Asian inspired low-carb dish. Other keto beef recipes you might enjoy are:
- Slow Cooker Steak Tips results in tender and flavorful meat every time for an easy no fuss dinner.
- Keto Vegetable Beef Soup is a Filipino style beef nilaga made with low-carb ingredients.
- Crockpot Broccoli Beef is super simple to prepare that’s it’s much faster than grabbing takeout!
- Japanese Hamburger Steak is sure to become your new favorite way to make ground beef patties!
- Ground Beef and Squash is another quick and easy dinner idea for busy weeknights.
Keto Pepper Steak Low Carb Beef Stir Fry
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or avocado oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into strips
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum add more if needed (optional thickener)
- 15 ounces baby corn optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef strips and garlic; cook until the beef is browned. Once done, season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from skillet.
- Adde additional oil to the skillet if needed. Cook pepper and onion in skillet until they are tender.
- Add the broth, soy sauce, mushrooms, and optional xanthan gum and baby corn (if using).
- Cook and stir until mushrooms are softened.
- Stir in the beef and continue cooking until heated throughout.
Array ( [calories] => 297 [carbohydrates] => 5 [protein] => 26 [fat] => 20 [saturated_fat] => 8 [cholesterol] => 69 [sodium] => 538 [potassium] => 593 [fiber] => 1 [sugar] => 2 [vitamin_a] => 127 [vitamin_c] => 26 [calcium] => 15 [iron] => 3 [serving_unit] => g )
FREE EMAIL SERIES
My Top 5 Secrets to Master Keto!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
Originally Published: December 9, 2010… Last Updated: October 16, 2020, with new photos and additional recipe tips.