These delicious crock pot tacos with slow cooker taco meat are perfect for an easy keto meal. They make a flavorful and filling low carb dinner that doesn’t require hours spent in the kitchen!
One of the best ways to bring out flavor in a dish is to give it time to simmer.
But personally, I don’t like spending a long time standing over the stove. So I am always searching for recipes that don’t require much work, but are full of flavor.
That’s why I love cooking with a slow cooker. This “set it and forget it” device handles the simmering for you.
I especially love using it to make crock pot tacos or a layered taco dip with ground beef!
Reasons to love the recipe
This recipe truly couldn’t be easier. You just add everything to the slow cooker. You don’t even need to brown the beef first!
I do recommend stirring it a few times. But besides that, crockpot taco meat requires almost no work. The ground beef cooks slowly for a few hours while you are free to do other things.
If you’re looking for a simple, no fuss low carb dinner idea, this recipe is for you. It’s so delicious and versatile, you’ll want to make it over and over again. Plus, it’s family friendly. Even the kids love taco night!
How to make Crock Pot Taco Meat
This delicious recipe only takes a few minutes to prep. All you need is ground beef and keto taco seasoning.
Because commercially prepared taco seasoning mixes contain unnecessary ingredients (like sugar, corn starch, or corn flour), I prefer to make my own!
Making the meat
- Pour about. half cup of water into the slow cooker then mix in the homemade taco seasoning.
- Add the ground meat to the seasoned liquid.
- Break the meat up and stir it in. Cover and cook until done, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
That’s it! If you already have the seasoning prepped, all you have to do is add everything to the slow cooker and stir.
It doesn’t get much easier than that. And once you taste these crockpot tacos, it may just become your new favorite recipe.
How long to cook ground beef in the slow cooker
Slow cookers have different heat settings depending on how fast you want the dish to cook.
For this recipe, the cooking time will depend on whether your crock pot is set to high or low. It takes about 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low to fully cook the ground beef.
I prefer to cook my meat low and slow. However, either way will turn out very flavorful.
Keeping the meat in the slow cooker
If you want to keep the crockpot taco meat warm, I recommend turning your slow cooker to the warm setting when it’s done cooking.
This is great if you’re serving it at a gathering with family or friends. Each person can make a servin or two, then go back for seconds and the ground beef will still be warm.
I recommend stirring occasionally so the meat on the bottom doesn’t get too hot.
You don’t want to let the meat sit in the crock pot for too long if it’s still on low, and definitely not on high. Slow cooking is a forgiving method of cooking, but it is still possible to overcook the meat.
How many pounds of meat can be made in the slow cooker
Another great thing about a slow cooker is that you can cook a lot of food at once. You can pretty much cook as much as you can fit in the crock pot!
I recommend a ratio of 1 pound of meat to 2 tablespoons of seasoning to a half cup of liquid.
Keep in mind that the more you add to the slow cooker, the more important it is to stir during the cooking process. This ensures all of the ground beef cooks evenly.
Other Low Carb Taco Recipes
Looking for keto recipes to go with your slow cooker taco meat? Here are a few ideas:
- Low Carb Almond Flour Tortillas or Cauliflower Tortillas are a great way to keep the meal gluten-free and keto-friendly. You can even make Cheese Taco Shells.
- Keto Taco Salad is a delicious way to include fresh greens with your ground beef.
- Taco Dip with Meat is a layered dish that’s perfect with this crock pot taco meat recipe.
- Keto Taco Soup can be made quickly in the Instant Pot or on the stove top.
- Stuffed Yellow Squash can be made with this tasty ground beef taco meat and then topped with diced tomatoes.
- Keto Mexican Casserole could use this seasoned meat to cut down on preparation time.
- Low Carb Taco Casserole is a family favorite that uses sliced squash in place of tortillas.
- Keto Taco Skillet is a one pan dish that combines seasoned ground beef with cauliflower rice.
Crock Pot Tacos with Slow Cooker Ground Beef
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons low carb taco seasoning mix
- ½ cup water
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. Ensure that your taco meat has cooked through by giving it a stir a few times while it cooks.
- Serve with your favorite taco fixings.
Array ( [calories] => 220 [carbohydrates] => 5 [protein] => 14 [fat] => 16 [saturated_fat] => 5 [cholesterol] => 53 [sodium] => 104 [potassium] => 358 [fiber] => 2 [sugar] => 0 [vitamin_a] => 1755 [vitamin_c] => 0.7 [calcium] => 50 [iron] => 3.1 )
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: April 25, 2019... Last Updated: March 13, 2020