Looking for a rich and flavorful dinner idea? Dig into my Mississippi mud roast recipe! Its dark and savory gravy is absolutely scrumptious on a bed of cauliflower rice or low-carb mashed turnips.
Why you’ll love this Mississippi mud roast recipe
- Comfort food: My Mississippi mud pot roast is the ultimate comfort food made with chuck roast, gravy, and beef broth.
- Quick to prep: Made in a crock pot, this recipe is super quick to prepare! Simply add your ingredients and cook on low.
- Flavorful gravy: The gravy in this Mississippi pot roast has an unbeatable flavor; it’s dark and rich with a complex seasoning blend.
- Perfectly tender meat: Slow-cooking this roast makes for the juiciest, most tender beef. It’s heaven in every bite!
- Keto-friendly: Best of all, my Mississippi mud roast contains 100% keto-friendly ingredients for a satisfying low-carb meal.
Here’s everything that goes into my Mississippi mud pot roast:
Chuck roast is the star of this dish. It gets incredibly tender when cooked in a slow cooker.
Alternative cuts include rump roast or bottom round roast.
Butter adds extra fat content and flavor to the gravy – a win-win in my books!
To season my chuck roast, I use:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried chives
- Dried dill
- Salt and black pepper
The combination is complex and complimentary, bringing all of the flavors together without overpowering the whole ingredients.
A bit of xanthan gum makes our gravy nice and thick without adding any high-carb ingredients like flour or cornstarch.
Beef broth or bone broth
You can use either beef or bone broth for this dish; both perfectly lend themselves to the flavor combination!
I use both pepperoncini peppers and their juice in this recipe for a burst of acidity and spice.
If you’re sensitive to spice, consider using fewer pepperoncini peppers than listed.
- Pre-mix your seasoning blend ahead of time for ultra-easy cooking.
- Adjust your cooking time based on the temperature you set your slow cooker; cooking on low will take 2-3 hours longer but will result in more tender meat.
- Make sure to let your shredded meat marinate in its gravy for 20 minutes before serving for the best flavor possible.
How to make Mississippi mud roast
Making this Mississippi pot roast is incredibly easy! Here’s how to get it done:
Step 1: Prep the chuck roast
First up, we’re going to prepare the chuck roast for seasoning. Pat it dry with a bit of paper towel to remove excess moisture, and place it in your slow cooker.
Step 2: Mix the seasoning blend
Next, combine all seasonings, including paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, xanthan gum, salt, and black pepper, in a small bowl.
Mix everything well to complete your seasoning blend!
Step 3: Coat the roast
Rub your chuck roast with the seasoning blend, making sure every bit is evenly coated.
Step 4: Add liquids and slow cook
Now, it’s time to add the rest of your ingredients and let your chuck roast cook.
Add pepperoncini peppers around the roast and butter right on top.
Then, pour pepperoncini juice and beef broth into the slow cooker and turn it to low heat.
Cook your mud roast for several hours until the meat is fully cooked, tender, and easily falls apart.
Step 5: Shred and serve
Once fully cooked, shred your chuck roast using forks, then leave your meat to soak in the gravy for about 20 minutes. This is going to give you the most flavorful beef.
Finally, your tender Mississippi roast is ready to enjoy!
How to serve Mississippi mud roast
Top with the au jus from the crockpot, along with fresh parsley and pepperoncini!
- Add chopped parsnips and turnips to your roast for a tasty texture and a boost of nutrients!
- Include low-carb Worcestershire sauce or red wine in your dish to give the gravy more depth.
- Substitute your seasoning mix for a package of keto-friendly ranch dressing mix for extra easy cooking.
- Include diced jalapeno peppers for extra heat.
- Top with sauteed mushrooms for a tasty umami pairing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the questions I get most about making (and enjoying) my delicious Mississippi mud roast. If you have any more questions, please leave them for me in the comments down below!
This Southern classic roast is made in a slow cooker, named for its rich and dark gravy, which is said to resemble the mud of the Mississippi River! Classic components include beef broth, pepperoncini peppers, and juicy chuck roast.
Chuck roast is the classic cut for this dish; its marbling makes for the most tender and flavorful meat when cooked in a slow cooker.
For new flavor possibilities, you could also try this recipe with pork or lamb.
In traditional recipes, this roast often includes potatoes and carrots.
While these veggies aren’t exactly low-carb, you can substitute for keto vegetables like turnips, radishes, or parsnips.
Like this Mississippi mud roast recipe? Try these!
Inspired by this low-carb recipe? Check out some of my favorite low-carb delicacies:
- Keto Seafood Paella takes inspiration from traditional Spanish paella, made with chorizo, bell peppers, and the fresh seafood of your choice. It's perfect for a dinner party!
- Keto Spinach Frittata is wonderfully creamy and savory, packed with tons of sneaky spinach and cheesy goodness.
- Pumpkin Lasagna Recipe with Spinach is made with layers of meatza in place of noodles, pumpkin puree, and three kinds of cheese.
- Keto Air Fryer Bone-In Pork Chops are breaded with low-carb pork rinds for a crunchy, keto coating.
- Turkey Pumpkin Chili is incredibly warming and filling, made with comforting ingredients that you (and your keto diet) will love!
Mississippi Mud Roast
- 2-3 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. dried chives
- ½ tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup beef broth or, bone broth
- ¼ cup pepperoncini juice from the jar, can sub apple cider vinegar
- 6 pepperoncini peppers plus extra for serving if desired
- Pat dry the chuck roast with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place the roast in your slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, xanthan gum, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to create the seasoning blend.
- Rub the seasoning mixture thoroughly all over the chuck roast, ensuring it's evenly coated.
- Place the pepperoncini peppers around the roast and the butter on top of the roast. Pour beef broth and ¼ cup of pepperoncini juice into the slow cooker.
- Cook in the slow cooker on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the meat is tender and easily falls apart.
- Once the roast is done, shred the meat using forks. Allow the shredded meat to sit in the gravy inside the crockpot for 15-20 minutes to soak up the flavors.
- After resting, serve the Mississippi Mud Roast over cauliflower mash, and top with the au jus from the crockpot. Garnish with fresh parsley and pepperoncini.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.