Fresh squeezed lemonade is a summertime favorite. Make this recipe for sugar free lemonade and you’ll have one the best keto drinks for summer!
Why is fresh squeezed lemonade so popular?
If you have ever been to an amusement park, county fair or state fair, you may already know how popular fresh squeezed lemonade is.
Furthermore, if you have enjoyed a glass of it, you probably understand why there are long lines of people waiting at the fresh squeezed lemonade stand.
The long wait is usually worth it, because lemonade from fresh lemon juice tastes better than anything of its kind! It’s perfectly refreshing, plus, it will help to keep you hydrated in the hot sun.
Benefits of Lemon Juice
If you ask 10 people what lemons are good for, almost half of them will have no idea. Many people think lemons are nothing more than a garnish in a glass of water or on freshly made salmon patties.
Those people are missing the big picture, because lemon juice helps our bodies in some amazing ways. The lemon juice in a glass of sugar free fresh squeezed lemonade offers these benefits:
- High in Vitamin C, which is good for the body’s immune system, improves heart health, and can even help fight cancer cells!
- Loaded with antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation and are fantastic for skin health.
- Improves and increases iron absorption
These are just some of the health benefits of lemon. It’s even said to improve digestion!
What kind of sweetener is best for sugar free lemonade?
There are several options when it comes to sweetening your sugar free fresh squeezed lemonade.
The recipe shown below calls for lemon monkfruit drops. Other low carb and keto-friendly sweetener options that dissolve well in lemonade include:
- Monkfruit sweetener
My sweetener of choice is lemon monkfruit drops because they offer an extra boost of lemon flavor. Lemon stevia drops work as well.
How to take sugar free lemonade up a notch
To turn a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade into an entirely different drink, just add a little something special to it. Try some these add-ins:
- Use a melon baller to make balls of watermelon, casaba melon, or other low carb melon of your choice.
- Add slices of kiwi fruit. Not only will the lemonade taste amazing, but it will also be beautiful!
- A splash of vodka will turn ordinary sugar free lemonade into adults-only keto drinks.
How long will the lemonade stay fresh?
As long as it is kept in the refrigerator, lemon, orange, or any other fresh squeezed juice will usually stay fresh for 7-10 days. At that point, it usually starts to lose its flavor and may even take on a cloudy appearance.
The good news is, fresh squeezed lemon juice can be frozen, and if you really want to, you can even freeze the lemonade. Just be aware that it may lose some of its flavor during the thawing process.
A easy and convenient way to freeze lemon juice is to use ice cube trays. When the juice is frozen, just release the cubes from the tray and transfer them to a large freezer zip top bag.
Then, when you want to make some sugar free lemonade, just add water and sweetener into a pitcher, add a few of the froze juice cubes and stir to combine.
Other keto drinks perfect for summer:
- Cucumber Mint Infused Water
- Sparkling Raspberry Limeade Mocktail
- Sugar Free Strawberry Limade
- Coconut Milk Strawberry Smoothie
Sugar Free Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
- 3/4 cup lemon juice about 4 to 5 lemons
- 1 teaspoon lemon monk fruit drops or 1 1/3 teaspoon lemon stevia drops
- 8 cups water
- 4 lemon slices optional
- In 2-quart pitcher, stir together all ingredients. Chill or pour over ice to serve. Add lemon slices if desired.
- Net Carbs 1g
- % Carbs: 23.5%
- % Protein: 23.5%
- % Fat: 52.9%
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.