Interested in trying a low carb and gluten free pizza crust that even a teenager will love? This coconut flour pizza crust got thumbs up from my picky daughter.
I have returned from a week long vacation and am ready to get back into low carb cooking. Before I left, I had been experimenting with making a pizza crust out of coconut flour. My first try resulted in a bland and spongy bread. I received several suggestions on my Facebook page on how to improve the recipe.
I added ground flax seed to get rid of the sponginess. The added flax really made a difference and resulted in a much crisper crust. I like pizza crust that is thin and crispy so the flax meal was a great addition. To fix the taste, I added more seasoning as well as a little olive oil.
I warned my picky daughter that the delicious smelling pizza had a “special” crust on it. She was still willing to try it because I had already sampled it and told her it wasn’t bad.
My daughter’s favorite frozen pizza is Freshetta so her comment was “It’s okay, but it’s no Freshetta.” Just the fact that she finished the slice without a complaint is reason enough to call the recipe a success.
I’ve also used this coconut flour pizza crust recipe to make low carb bread sticks. Just shape the dough into a big rectangle and slice after baking. We like to serve the bread sticks with homemade marinara sauce.
I like to freeze this coconut flour pizza crust after baking. It makes it super easy to make a low carb pizza later. You don’t even have to thaw the frozen crust. Just put your favorite toppings on top of the crust and bake at about 35o until the cheese is browned.
What’s your favorite low carb pizza crust?
Low Carb Gluten Free Coconut Flour Pizza Crust Recipe
- Serving size: 64g
- Calories: 164
- Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 5.3g
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 280.5mg
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 134.5mg
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons ground flax or almond flour or psyllium
- 4 large eggs
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Place all ingredients except mozzarella cheese into a food processor.
- Process until there are no more lumps.
- Fold in mozzarella cheese.
- Spread onto greased baking sheet or line sheet with non-stick silicon mat. Bake at 375 F for about 20-25 minutes or until top is browned.
- Slice into strips for bread sticks. For pizza, top with sauce and toppings then bake at 350 F for about 12 minutes.
Net carbs per serving: 3g