When you reach a weight loss plateau during your journey of a low carb diet, an egg fast diet can help! Discover all of the rules for fasting along with 30 egg fast recipes and sample meal plans to help you get by.
Egg Fasting For Stalled Weight Loss
Sometimes, no matter how hard you keto, you just don’t see the results you’re hoping for. Your body has seemingly given up on your goals and you’re frustrated.
Or, perhaps, you’ve not been tracking all your carbs and you’ve veered into low carb living instead of maintaining a state of ketosis.
Or, maybe your weight issues stem from overindulging in low-carb sweets. This can throw your hunger hormones out of balance and you end up eating more than you really need.
Regardless of why you’re frustrated and ready to do something to propel you forward, there’s a VERY simple solution: egg fasting.
These kinds of diet recipes are just the thing for quick weight loss and to jumpstart your stalled keto progress. Not only is the plan easy to follow, the dishes are super simple. You need only a few ingredients...and you can even include egg based desserts!
What Is An Egg Fast?
This fast is a “keto hack” that many use to see results after a stall.
Jimmy Moore of Livin La Vida Low Carb is thought to be the inspiration for the egg diet after he lost 27 pounds eating primarily eggs for a month (those diet results are hard to argue with!).
Here were the guidelines he followed during his egg fast:
- Must eat eggs as the primary source of fat and protein.
- 1 tablespoon of butter (or another fat source) used per egg consumed.
- Must eat a serving within 30 minutes after waking. (Please note: my version changed this rule to include intermittent fasting which improves results by extending the time between dinner and breakfast.)
- These protein-based meals ideally should be eaten every 3 hours, but not more than every 5 hours.
- Must follow the schedule even if not hungry (Eat 1 serving when that happens).
- Cheese will be permitted up to one ounce per egg.
- A minimum of a half-dozen must be consumed daily.
- Use local pastured eggs loaded with healthy omega-3 fats and Vitamin D in your fast recipes.
- Eating will cease three hours before bedtime.
- Diet soda will be allowed up to 3 cans daily with a goal of 1 or less.
Does This Keto Fast Really Get Results?
Well, it did for Jimmy and it did for me. I tried egg fasting to push past a plateau and my results were quite satisfactory!
You really can lose weight and regain some momentum with a very simple egg fast meal plan.
When I tried it last year, I used the modified rules at Fluffy Chix Cook and lost about 4 pounds!
One thing to keep in mind: When you go back to regular eating, though, don’t be surprised if you regain a couple of pounds (I did, too!), because it’s completely normal.
However, you’ll most likely still be ahead of where you started...and you’ll have helped reset your body just a bit to get back to the business of losing weight.
What Is The Egg Fast Plan?
Ready to find out what you can do to enjoy these results yourself? Here are the basic egg fast rules for the version I follow:
- Don’t eat for the first three hours of your day. This helps you reap the benefits of intermittent fasting as well as the perks of your fast. (NOTE: I've changed the original rule of eating within 30 minutes of waking for better results.)
- Don’t skip meals, either. No OMAD (one meal a day) regimens. You need to eat 3 diet meals a day. Each meal should consist of a minimum 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons fat (butter, coconut oil, avocado mayo, olive oil, MCT oil, etc.).
- You can include 1 ounce of full-fat cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, cream cheese, Monterrey, etc.) with each egg if you’d like for variety, too...but keep it at 6 ounces (or less) of cheese per day.
- If you want to snack between meals, simply eat one serving with a tablespoon of fat as your snack (but only if you’re hungry!). Hard-boiled, scrambled, fried, poached...your pick!
- Make sure not to go too long in between eating, too! No more than 5 hours between meals.
- Be certain to finish your last meal of the day at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Don’t forget to hydrate! Drink the minimum standard of 64 ounces of water each day...but more is great, too!
- Supplement, supplement, supplement. Talk to your doctor about your daily needs, but getting adequate magnesium, sodium, and potassium is important.
- Avoid sugar alcohols. Concentrated stevia and monk fruit are okay to sweeten your tea or coffee or to make your desserts with.
- Don’t go crazy on the spices, either. Keep it to 1 gram of carbohydrates or less per serving in any of your egg fast recipes to really propel you back into your fat-burning mode.
Save this image down below on your phone or pin it for later!
Frequently Asked Questions About Egg Diet
If you’re looking for the quick answers to your (fat) burning egg fast questions, this is your spot!
How many eggs do you eat on an egg fast?
At least 2 eggs per meal, 3 meals a day. So that’s 6 a day minimum during your time on the diet, but if you’re hungry, you can have 3 per meal instead.
Can I combine OMAD or IF (one meal a day or intermittent fast) with the egg fast diet?
Your first meal should start at least 3 hours after you wake and your final meal should end 3 hours before bedtime...and you should eat three meals a day! No skipping.
What can you eat on an egg fast?
Eggs...and fat...and cheese! For now, you’re leaving out the meat, fruit, and veggies.
Can you lose weight by eating only eggs?
Many people have, including me. This is not a long term solution, but a quick hack to get back into weight loss mode or reset your body (and mind).
This diet has been effective for quick sprints.
Can you have coffee on an egg fast?
Coffee and tea are both 0 calorie foods and won’t mess with your keto diet results. However, what you add to them could, so be wise and make sure you’re paying attention!
Egg Fast Menu Ideas
I know, I know. This sounds so boring. But I promise, it’s not!
There are so many delicious recipes you can make with eggs, fat, and cheese. It’s actually pretty surprising and you’ll probably gain a few favorites to work into your regular keto meal plan when your egg fast is over.
You don’t have to limit your eating to only fried eggs, omelets, and quiche either. A lot of people have had success losing weight fast by following a diet plan with creative, simple, and tasty recipes.
Want to get my super simple egg fast recipes and rules? Grab them in this ultimate guide!
It also includes a 3-day diet plan to get rid of any guesswork on your part. No excuses now!
Diet Fast Recipe Tip For Weight Loss
Always check the recipe and make an adjustment to use the whole egg, if needed. For example, if you’re eating the meringue cookies, pair them with a yolk-only fast-frozen custard to get the yolk and the whites in.
If you have any questions on the egg fast diet plan, please ask in the comments section of this post. For more help, I recommend joining an egg fast specific Facebook group.
Easy & Delicious Egg Fast Recipes
Are you ready to get some results? Here are 30 wholly yummy and very simple recipes you can enjoy while fasting!
Remember- The short term diet is often used for losing weight when it’s stalled. It’s not meant to be followed long term (and, of course, always talk to your doctor before trying anything new).
1. Egg and Cheese Quiche Recipe
Baking a cheese quiche at the start of your egg fast is an easy way to make multiple meals at once.
It's a filling dish to serve for any meal of the day! You can eat some for breakfast all week long or enjoy the leftovers for lunch or dinner, too.
2. Keto Cloud Bread Recipe (Oopsie Bread Rolls )
Breakfast and lunch sandwiches are possible on an fasting diet when you make cloud bread. With less than one gram carb for each roll, what's not to love?
3. Frozen Custard (Low Carb Ice Cream Recipe)
For those doing the fast during the summer, this simple frozen custard dessert will really hit the spot. It's a simple egg based ice cream that won't know you out of ketosis.
4. Low Carb Deviled Eggs Without Vinegar
Deviled eggs are the perfect snack for any low carb diet. Just be sure to use a mayonnaise made with a healthy fat like avocado oil.
5. Low Carb Keto Egg Salad
Egg salad sandwiches are possible on a keto fast. Just serve the salad on cloud bread!
6. Keto Cloud Cake With Coffee Buttercream
Have something to celebrate and want a special treat? This keto cloud cake is so low in carbs, it's fine to have while egg fasting.
7. Coffee Custard Pudding
Need an easy dessert that you can make while doing a low carb fast? Try coffee custard! It's not only simple but gives a little energy boost too.
8. Lemon Pudding Custard
This lemon-flavored custard pudding has a refreshing citrus flair. Or, you can use the base recipe with another flavor extract to make endless possibilities.
9. Buttery Asiago Baked Eggs
Baked eggs are about as easy as it gets when it comes to making breakfast. And to up the fat, these have plenty of butter and a sprinkling of cheese.
10. Sugar-Free Meringue Cookies
You'll need to pair these meringue cookies with another food like a yolk only custard. That way you'll be getting in the required whole egg.
11. Flourless Cinnamon Pancakes
Do you miss eating pancakes for breakfast? Well, this recipe cleverly disguises the eggs into tasty cinnamon pancakes.
12. Homemade Coconut Oil Mayonnaise For Keto Diet
Commercially prepared mayo made with healthy fast are a lot more expensive than making your own. So why spend the extra money when it's so easy to make homemade mayonnaise?
13. Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
An Instant Pot is a great way to hard cook eggs under pressure to perfection every time. Just be sure to adjust the time to exactly how you like them!
14. Egg Fast Frozen Custard Recipe
You'll love this low carb "ice cream" treat from I Breathe, I'm Hungry! And it's easy to vary the flavor to change it up.
15. Instant Pot Poached Eggs
Thanks to Step Away From The Carbs, learn how to make poached eggs easily in the Instant Pot. Not only easy, but they come out perfect every time!
16. Tex Mex White Egg Pizza
Pizza for breakfast? Sure, why not? You'll love this simple recipe for a Tex Mex white pizza with egg-based crust from Fluffy Chix Cook.
17. Keto Salted Caramel Custard
It won't even feel like dieting when you include a scrumptious keto salted caramel custard from I Breathe, I'm Hungry in the meal plan. So be sure to add this dessert into the menu.
18. Keto Lemon-Filled Danish
Having trouble watching others stuff high carb pastries in their mouth at work? Give yourself this egg fast lemon custard danish from Ketogenic Woman to enjoy without guilt.
19. Quick Keto Egg Drop Soup
If it weren't for all the high carb thickener, the egg drop soup at Chinese restaurants would be a good choice. So do yourself a favor and make this keto-friendly version from Fluffy Chix Cook instead.
20. Keto Friendly Deviled Eggs
You can never have enough deviled egg recipes, especially while fasting. Here's another one from I Breathe, I'm Hungry to keep handy for easy snacks.
21. Fried Boiled Eggs with Yum Yum Sauce
Want to give ordinary hard-boiled eggs a bit more flavor? Learn how to fry hard-cooked eggs from Eating For Teal and drizzle on some low carb yum yum sauce!
22. Keto Buffalo Omelette
Why make a boring omelet with just egg and cheese? This one from I Breathe, I'm Hungry spices it up with some Buffalo chicken flavor!
23. Low Carb Breakfast Biscuit
Miss the quick drive through breakfast sandwiches? You can make an even better version at home with this ultimate egg and biscuit sandwich from Fluffy Chix Cook.
24. Low Carb Caramel Macchiato Cheesecakes
Wow! Who would have thought that cheesecakes could be egg fast friendly. Thanks to I Breathe, I'm Hungry, These little caramel macchiato cheesecakes are bite-sized pieces of heaven that won't break your fast.
25. Air Fryer Hard-Cooked Eggs
If you have an air fryer, you can use it to make air-fried hard-cooked eggs easily like Casserole Crissy. It's just one more way to prep snacks while fasting.
26. Fried Egg Fundido
Spice up your morning routine with this keto-friendly fundido from Fluffy Chix Cook! It's got all the cheese and pepper kick of the traditional Mexican dish.
27. Keto Snickerdoodle Crepes
If you like to start the day off with a little treat, these keto snickerdoodle crepes from I Breathe, I'm Hungry are for you. And, they can be made ahead to enjoy all week long!
28. Fluffy Egg Puffs
29. Low Carb Fettuccini Alfredo
Fettuccini is possible on this fast diet when the noodles are made of egg- thanks to I Breathe, I'm Hungry! Pair them with a creamy sauce and you've got one of the best keto egg fast alfredo recipes.
30. Simple Egg Jalapeno Popper Puffs
It only takes about 80 seconds to make a quick and easy egg popper for breakfast. It's sure to become a regular even after your fast is done.
My favorite recipe is from Fluffy Chix Cook!
Last Updated December 31, 2020 with additional clarifications. Originally published on April 22, 2016.