Want perfectly crispy chicken legs in under 30 minutes? My Instant Pot chicken drumsticks are tender on the inside and perfectly crispy outside. Plus, they are flavorful and super easy to make. Serve them up for a burst of protein that even the pickiest of eaters will love!
Why you'll love it
There's nothing better than a tried-and-true Instant Pot recipe. And my Instant Pot chicken drumsticks totally fit the bill!
This recipe calls for bone-in chicken drumsticks for tender meat and crispy skin. The results? A delicious recipe that you'll want to make again and again.
And because you're using an Instant Pot pressure cooker, the cooking time is super fast, coming together in 25 minutes flat.
The best part? These drumsticks contain just 1g net carb per serving, making them an excellent low-carb protein choice.
When you're using tasty, high-quality ingredients, it doesn't take much to create a show-stopping meal.
Here are the simple ingredients that make these Instant Pot chicken legs so fantastic:
The base of this recipe is bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks.
Leaving the bone in your chicken helps keep the meat tender as it contributes to a more even cook. The skin also helps this process by sealing in moisture.
Bonus – chicken skin includes additional fat content, which is favorable for a keto diet (plus it tastes great!).
Butter and olive oil
Speaking of fat content, I include both butter and olive oil in this recipe.
While they're technically included to prevent the drumsticks from sticking to your Instant Pot, they also add a ton of flavor and some bonus fat.
The trick to delicious protein is to get the seasoning just right.
My seasoning blend for this recipe includes:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
I also add chicken broth for additional moisture and flavor.
This recipe is pretty fool-proof, but there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips on how to cook chicken legs in an Instant Pot:
- Sear chicken drumsticks before pressure cooking to avoid overcooking (and for a crunchy bite!).
- Use metal tongs to rotate your drumsticks for an even sear on each side.
- Store leftover chicken drumsticks in an airtight container and reheat in an oven broiler for crispy skin.
You can cook these Instant Pot chicken drumsticks in under 30 minutes with these easy steps:
Prepare your Instant Pot
Begin by setting your Instant Pot to "saute" and adding in your butter and olive oil.
This will prevent your chicken drumsticks from sticking, as well as add some extra fat content to your dish!
Season your chicken drumsticks
Next, add your bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks to a large mixing bowl.
Sprinkle your seasonings over your drumsticks and toss to coat.
Add your seasoned chicken legs to the preheated Instant Pot. Your goal is an even sear on all sides – use metal tongs to help you achieve this!
Once all sides are evenly seared, press the cancel button on your Instant Pot.
Pressure cook and serve
Finally, it's time to pressure cook!
Pour in your chicken broth; this is going to help you get super tender meat.
Then, close your lid and turn the valve to the "sealing" position. Pressure cook the chicken legs on the manual setting for 10 minutes.
Allow your Instant Pot to come to a natural pressure release before carefully turning your valve to the "venting" position.
And there you have it – perfectly tender Instant Pot chicken drumsticks!
Remove the chicken and serve.
If you're looking to enjoy these chicken legs as a complete meal, bump up the nutritional value with a vegetable side dish like oven-roasted asparagus, keto-mashed cauliflower, or roasted jicama with green beans.
And if you want to serve this Instant Pot chicken as a game-day appetizer, offer it alongside other comfort food classics like bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, keto mozzarella sticks, and coconut shrimp.
One of the best things about this Instant Pot chicken drumsticks recipe is that it is so versatile and easy to customize based on your preferences.
Use any of these variations to switch things up!
- Make bbq chicken drumsticks by adding a low-carb bbq sauce to your cooked chicken and baking in a convection oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Try this recipe with frozen drumsticks. Cook frozen chicken legs for an additional 2 minutes in the Instant Pot (ensure the internal temperature has reached 170°F).
- Add additional seasonings like smoked paprika, seasoning salt, and chili powder for a custom blend.
These are a few common questions I get about my Instant Pot chicken drumsticks recipe. If you don't see your question answered, please leave it for me in the comments down below.
Like with any recipe, it's possible to overcook chicken in an Instant Pot.
In fact, it's actually quite easy to overcook meat when pressure cooking because of how quick the cooking time is!
If you're wondering if your chicken drumsticks are ready to eat, it never hurts to check their internal temperature; this will give you a more accurate reading than a cooking time from a recipe.
Luckily, with this chicken drumsticks recipe, it's harder to overcook your meat because of the additional chicken stock. Leaving your bones in and skin on also helps prevent your chicken from drying out.
If you're getting rubbery chicken when cooking in an Instant Pot, this means that you're overcooking your meat. Follow suggested cooking times and check internal temperatures to improve the texture.
Want more quick and easy instant pot meals? I have several keto-friendly recipes for you to try next:
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Souffle is a wonderful side dish made with butter, chives, and high-fat goodness.
- Citrus Herb Chicken Chorizo is seasoned with sun-dried tomatoes, orange juice, and floral thyme.
- Low-Carb Instant Pot Taco Soup is ready in just 15 minutes; made with lean ground beef, green chiles, and a Mexican seasoning blend.
- Turkey Pumpkin Chili is warm and filling with great protein content.
- Instant Pot Sous Vide Keto Egg Bites are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast with heavy cream, bacon, and cream cheese.
Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 Bone in and skin on chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 C. Chicken broth
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- ¼ tsp. Oregano
- ¼ tsp. Coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to “saute”, and add in the butter and oil.
- Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle with the seasonings. Toss to coat well.
- Add the chicken to the heated Instant Pot, searing evenly on all sides.
- Press the “cancel” button on the Instant Pot.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Close the lid, and turn the valve to the “sealing” position.
- Cook on manual for 10 minutes, and allow it to come to a natural release before carefully turning the valve to the “venting” position.
- Remove the chicken and serve.
Notes on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
© LowCarbYum.com - Unauthorized use of this material without written permission is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes. Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.